Question on PVLAN

Let's say I have a perimiter network on a firewall segment that I want to protect with PVLAN. We would use the PVLAN to force all communication between machines within that perimeter to go through the firewall. The problem I am seeing with this configuration is that the firewall would normally just ignore communications between computers on the same segment, figuring that such communication is direct between the computers.

To make this work, are we supposed to configure a proxy arp on the firewall segment, to fake out machines on the network into thinking that all the target IPs on that network go the firewall's port? Do we need to configure the network on the firewall to be a single IP (class mask 255.255.255.255)? Obviously the answer may be firewall dependent, but how would you make the firewall work with a PVLAN perimeter network for the case of Checkpoint Firewall-1, Microsoft ISA Server, and Cisco PIX?

It looks like the only "easy" way to make this work is to be sure that all machines in one PVLAN don't need to ever talk to each other....

Reply to
Will
Loading thread data ...

Hi Will,

You may also wish to investigate the Private VLAN Catalyst Switch Support Matrix:

formatting link
as well as Securing Networks with Private VLANs and VLAN Access Control Lists:

formatting link
Configuring Private VLANs:

formatting link
and

formatting link
and VLAN INSECURITY - VLANS WERE CREATED TO ISOLATE LANS, BUT NOT FOR THE PURPOSES OF SECURITY:

formatting link
Hope this helps.

Brad Reese BradReese.Com - Refurbished Cisco PIX Firewall Guide

formatting link
Hendersonville Road, Suite 17 Asheville, North Carolina USA 28803 USA & Canada: 877-549-2680 International: 828-277-7272 Fax: 775-254-3558 AIM: R2MGrant BradReese.Com - Cisco Power Supply Headquarters
formatting link

Reply to
www.BradReese.Com

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.