appletalk network

can someone tells me an easy way to know if my macintosh segment is running phase 1 or 2. I read the doc but the config is differnet from 1 phase to another. Do I have to check on the Mac ? also I want to route appletalk traffic, i have 6 6509 with msfc.

sh ver ; IOS (tm) MSFC Software (C6MSFC-PSV-M), Version 12.1(19)E1a

I cannot find the (config) appletalk network command. is there a way I ignore to enable this ?

thanks.

Reply to
nini
Loading thread data ...

If I've got this right[1] the -PSV- tag means this is a Service Provider, IP-only software feature set you have, so no AppleTalk. You'd have to upgrade the software to (I think) a Desktop or Enterprise feature set to AppleTalk Routing. The Phase 1/Phase 2 distinction is mostly irrelevant - I don't know of anything around that is strictly Phase 1 these days.

Sam Wilson Network Development Team, Infrastructure Services Division Computing Services, The University of Edinburgh Edinburgh, Scotland, UK

Reply to
Sam Wilson

You know where I can find doc related to msfc software version (psv-jsv) so that i can explain to the boss..

Reply to
nini

There used to be a nice colour-coded page explaining the IOS naming convention somewhere on

formatting link
but I can no longer find it. I was going to put a footnote in my previous reply to say it had always been difficult to find - I once complained to Cisco because their search engine didn't find the page even when you gave it the exact title!. The closest I can find at the moment is but that isn't going to help you because it only refers to the feature set tag for later releases, and only by example. In fact there was a major change in the way feature sets are packaged from 12.3 onwards. If you look (hard) you can find plenty of descriptions of the new convention but I can't find anything about the traditional way.

Cisco are happy to sell you a book about it, however,

which seems, frankly, utterly pointless since everything changes so fast.

Sorry not to be more help - I suggest you contact your local Cisco reseller or Cisco direct.

Sam

Reply to
Sam Wilson

Let me follow up by suggesting this:

Way out of date, but then so is your software... :-) You might want to snarf a copy before Cisco find it.

Sam

Reply to
Sam Wilson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.