Someone can explain this to me?

Scenario: Class B subnet 172.16.0.0/16 with about 500 hosts. Cisco3640 core router as dgw of the network, address 172.16.1.116 Cisco 1712 vpn gateway, address 172.16.1.108 Cisco Pix506 vpn gateway, address 172.16.1.107 Other networking gears not related (hope) to this issue Eigrp protocol running on all the devices except the pix.

Recently the customer is experiencing problems reaching the subnets at the other end of the tunnels terminated by the pix, here are some tests I've done and some details I've collected:

If I ping the address of the internal if of the pix (172.16.1.107) from the

3640 (remember, this is the dgw of the subnet), all seems ok. If I do a trace from 3640 to the same address I surprisingly see the packets going to the 1712 (172.16.1.108) and back to the 3640 (due to the eigrp table), so forth until the ttl expires. Routing tables are all ok Arp tables are all ok No cef or netflow running No policy routing No proxy arp enabled on any device. Cpu usage of all the devices is as usual 1712 is injecting routes to the internal lan in a fairly controlled fashion due to distribute lists. Same devices are running quite from a while, no important changes made to the images or configs lately.

Strange enough, if I change the ip of the pix with an address near to the old one the problem stands, if I change the address, and only that, with one quite far from the old one (now is 172.16.1.5) the problem suddenly disappears, however none of these addresses belong to any other host or device (tried to ping after the change). Anyone has experienced something similar in the past? Bye, Tosh.

Reply to
Tosh
Loading thread data ...

It sounds like the 1712 is advertising a route to 172.16.1.107 to the

3640 for some reason, and this is overriding the connected route for the network. But this doesn't explain why the first ping works and the traceroute fails when they're going to the same address. What does "show ip route 172.16.1.107" say?
Reply to
Barry Margolin

3640#sh ip ro 172.16.204.107 Routing entry for 172.16.0.0/16 Known via "connected", distance 0, metric 0 (connected, via interface) Redistributing via eigrp 100 Routing Descriptor Blocks: * directly connected, via Ethernet0/0 Route metric is 0, traffic share count is 1 As you can see routing table is ok. It seems like a strange packet duplication by the 3640, for some misterious reason 3640 sent packets destined to pix also to 1712, this may explain why ping worked and trace behaved like that. In fact, if I did ping or trace a host behind the pix (not only from 3640 but from any local or remote host in the network) I saw the packet counters of the associated crypto map incrementing by hundreds of times, not by 5 as expected, this sound to me that packets looped from 3640 to 1712 until tll expiration and were also sent to pix each time. Maybe some sniffing should have revealed something more, but now customer's happy after the change of the ip and I'm not so fool to switch back for the only purpose of forensic.....but curiosity is very strong :-) Bye, Max.
Reply to
Tosh

I wonder if 1712 is doing proxy ARP for the pix's address. Do "show arp" and see if both IP's have the same MAC.

Reply to
Barry Margolin

It was the first thing looked for, but unfortunately arp tables of all the devices involved in the story, expecially the 3640, are referencing the correct mac addresses and proxy arp is disbled on all devices. More...if it was a proxy arp issue I should see only one hop when I do a trace to the pix (from the wrong address, however), this doesn't explain the loop neither the apparent duplication of the packets destined to the pix. I really appreciate your help, but I feel this story will remain a mistery for a long time, unless I decide to go to the customer site a sunday morning, switch back the address of the pix to the original one and do some other testing and sniffing. Tnx, Tosh.

Reply to
Tosh

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.