problem with AIM using netgear router

I'm not so sure if i am on the right group.. but i am going ask my question anyway.

My AOL Instant Messenger (AIM) used to work fine with the newest update using my Comcast Cable Modem and my Wireless Netgear Router MR814v2. Somehow.. one day my AIM started reconnecting in random times.. approx every 10 mins.. it relogs me... even i'm in the middle of chatting... I tried opening AIM ports in my router and it's still doing it. The only way i fixed it is when i downgraded to the windows 95 version of AIM. I blamed it on my router or my cable modem because this problem occurs in all of my 4 computers connected to my home network.

Main comp: Windows XP service pack 2

2 comps: Windows 98 SE Laptop: Windows XP home edition

i wanna get this fixed so i can use the newest version of AIM again. I have change many settings in my router... and i dunno which one is causing this problem.. so help me please..

Reply to
franciz3
Loading thread data ...

| I'm not so sure if i am on the right group.. but i am going ask my | question anyway. | | My AOL Instant Messenger (AIM) used to work fine with the newest update | using my Comcast Cable Modem and my Wireless Netgear Router MR814v2. | Somehow.. one day my AIM started reconnecting in random times.. approx | every 10 mins.. it relogs me... even i'm in the middle of chatting... I | tried opening AIM ports in my router and it's still doing it. The only | way i fixed it is when i downgraded to the windows 95 version of AIM. | I blamed it on my router or my cable modem because this problem occurs | in all of my 4 computers connected to my home network. | | Main comp: Windows XP service pack 2 | 2 comps: Windows 98 SE | Laptop: Windows XP home edition | | i wanna get this fixed so i can use the newest version of AIM again. I | have change many settings in my router... and i dunno which one is | causing this problem.. so help me please..

AIM uses TCP port 5190. Forward TCP port 5190 on the Router to the IP address of the PC.

Reply to
David H. Lipman

i did that already... still d same..

Reply to
franciz3

| i did that already... still d same..

Maybe you should reset the Netgear Router to factory defaults and setup the Router from scratch.

Reply to
David H. Lipman

Check your router's firmware version at http://192.168.0.1/s_status.htmSee if you have router firmware version 5.3_05. (If you don't have that version, you can ignore the rest of this.)

Check your router's DHCP lease time at http://192.168.0.1/st_dhcp.htmIn my experience, firmware version 5.3_05 drops connections when it attempts to renew the DHCP lease, which begins to happen when your DHCP lease is half over. When you have a 1 or 2 hour DHCP lease (as a certain cable ISP often gives its subscribers), you may experience loss of connections several times an hour.

The solution I used was to go back to version 5.03 firmware. I've had no router problems since going to that firmware. Your mileage many vary.

That solution was suggested to me by Netgear's tech support. Get it at ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/mr814_5030.zip See

formatting link
for info on how to do the firmware upgrade (or downgrade, as the case may be). It is necessary to completely reset your MR814v2 router to factory settings and then reconfigure it from scratch after changing the firmware.

Version 5.3_05 has a DNS proxy. That's a nice feature, and I was sorry to give that up when I went back to the older version. But having uninterrupted connections is much more valuable to me than a DNS proxy.

One more suggestion. Add a line to your hosts file, which for WinXP is C:\\windows\\system32\\drivers\\etc\\hosts . The line reads:

192.168.0.1 router

After doing that, you can use URLs like http://router/s_status.htminstead of http://192.168.0.1/s_status.htm . I find it a lot easier to remember the word "router" than that dotted decimal number.

Reply to
Nelson B

hey.. nelson... thanks for ur suggestions..i downgraded my router's firmware to 5.03 i had 5.03_05 before... i'll observer my AIM if ill get relog again... thanks.... and oh ya... sorry for late reply... i was out of state for couple o days... thanks again :-D

Reply to
franciz3

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.