Netgear WGT634U router problem solved

Anyone experiencing erratic operation with the Netgear WGT634U should be aware of possible SELF JAMMING that can happen when choosing a different 802.11 channel. The default channel (11) works fine on my router but, unfortunately, I immediately reprogrammed to channel 3 when I got it and caused myself a lot of grief. Symptoms are long response times or outright lockup of the router even though the front panel lights show no change. Rebooting the router fixes the problem for a while. This router has a plastic case and therefore no radio frequency shielding. My theory is that the computer executes some code which radiates some signal, the antenna picks it up and causes the computer to respond which radiates more signal. Since the computer is probably responding to the radio on a high priority interrupt almost nothing else can get done while this thing is in an infinite FEEDBACK LOOP. Solutions: If you have problems try a different channel, preferably the default (11). If you need to use a lower channel consider adding some shielding to the case to prevent feedback. Don't block any air vents though, this thing runs hot enough. A remote antenna would reduce the problem but unfortunately, the antenna is hard-wired with no connector.

Hope this helps. Dennis B.

Reply to
Dennis B.
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.