Zoom Hayes H08-15810 vs Zoom X3 5560

Hello people,

Actually, the subject says it all. I am about to buy a budget ADSL modem and the alternatives are

Hayes (Zoom) H08-15810 and Zoom X3 5560

To my liking, the Hayes one is cheaper, but the brochure specifically states that it is based on an LSI chipset (what is this - is it good or bad?)

We have been using the X4 version of the Zoom for a while now, without major problems except for occasional disconnections which get fixed after power-cycling the modem.

I will appreciate any comments/pointers deeply.

Many thanks in advance,

-arifi

Reply to
Arifi Koseoglu
Loading thread data ...

Honestly, the Hayes one is too new for many people to have used it. It just came out maybe 6 weeks ago? But we got a few to test out and eval. Hayes and Zoom are the same company. The config screens on the Hayes are virtually identical as the Zooms.

The LSI chipset is brandnew as well, I don't know of anybody else using them. For the pricepoint, obviously they are going very cheap, cheaper than the Globespan/Virata chipset that the Zoom routers use. The RTOS it uses is embedded linux. This is very much like the TI chipset solution that the latest ActionTec ADSL router uses.

Our eval one seems stable enough. We never really stress tested it for long term stability, but it worked well enough in the lab.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Many thanks for the info, Doug.

If the Hayes is so new, then it would be a safer bet to go with the X3, I assume.....

Best,

-arifi

Reply to
Arifi Koseoglu

Arifi Koseoglu wrote on 12/10/2004 3:44 AM:

Who do you have DSL through? You are over-simplifying the decision. It is not just on features, but chipset and interoperability as well. ADSL still has a lot of interoperability issues, and you cannot look at features only. Tell us what network you are on, and then we can advise which modem to get on ebay.

Jim

Reply to
Jim

Arifi Koseoglu wrote on 12/13/2004 1:37 PM:

Nope.

Jim

Reply to
Jim

Hi Jim,

Sorry for the late response. The ADSL provider in this case will be Turkish Telecom, in Turkey.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks in advance.

-arifi

Reply to
Arifi Koseoglu

Hayes is such a horrible company that I'd be hard pressed to ever use them. I got the Zoom 5554 modem up and running with my SBC service by following the advice here:

formatting link
I'm glad I did it because now I know how my DSL works and don't have a "locked out" modem from SBC that I have to pay for but don't really own....

Reply to
skipintro

You do realize that Hayes is owned by Zoom? If you took a look at the Hayes configure screens you'd sware you were configuring your Zoom router.. They also own a few other ancient modem brands that don't tend to be seen much anymore.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

No I didn't! I guess I'm out of date.

I actually filed a small claims lawsuit against Hayes about 15 years ago (and settled) over their mislabeling of a V.90 modem. (an old 9600 bps standard).

Reply to
skipintro

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.