Zoom 5001 Internal PCI Modem Problems

Some background - I just entered the world of cable modems due to an offer from Adelphia where I could get a very slow (cable-wise) connection for the same $$ as my dial-up. The specs are 128K up and downstream. Anyway I bought a Zoom 5001 internal PCI modem since it seemed like a low cost route and would save space in my already cluttered PC area. It installed fine in my PC (Dell 4500, Win XP SP2, 512M RAM, 2GHz P4). I already have a LAN with

2 other PCs connected through a switch.

The tech came and installed the cable connection and pronounced it working. I chose self-installation, hooked up the modem to the wall outlet. Well the modem does not range nor register with the network, nor can Adelphia see it from their end even with the correct MAC address. The status light just flashes. I checked all the connections - they seem fine. TCP/IP settings seem fine.

OK, decided to uninstall and reinstall the modem. Well on boot-up it was able to find something and acquired an IP address and the status light stopped flashing - Adelphia are still unable to see it on their end and I cannot get to their registration page. I'm using IE 6.0 and it was configured to detect settings automatically. Reboot and back to the original problem - status light flashes. Using the Adelphia set-up CD assumes either an Ethernet or USB connection and tries to configure my existing network card!

So right now I am stuck. Adelphia are sending someone to check this out. In the meantime, am I missing something? I wonder if the modem is not compatible with Adelphia - I also wonder if I have any cable connection at all. Any advice would be appreciated! I did a Google search of Usenet on this modem but did not find much.

TIA

Guy

Reply to
Guy
Loading thread data ...

Looks like your hardware isn't compatible. -Dave

formatting link

Reply to
Dave C.

Dave,

I am coming to that conclusion! In initial discussions with Adelphia, the rep stated that any cable compatible modem should work. That's why I did not work off the list on the Adelphia site.

Live and learn?

Thanks

Reply to
Guy

I'd suggest you replace it with a Linksys BEFCMU10 (V3 or higher) The V2 is listed on adelphia's site, but you'd have to get one used off ebay. There is no logical reason why the (V3) shouldn't work. I'm guessing the (V2) is listed, as that's the one Adelphia tested. -Dave

Reply to
Dave C.

Out of curiousity what market are you in and what is the monthly cost?

Reply to
George

In the Cleveland, Ohio area - cost $24.95/month.

Switched to the recommended Linksys system - all working now! But I had to use the ethernet card in my PC. Seems that >1 network connection confuses things horribly. So I will get a router!

Reply to
Guy

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.