Comcast DHCP Cycles?

On October 31st my cable modem decided to stop getting an IP addres. So I reset the router and modem - all is well. Last night, (a week later) I was uploading the Mandrake Linux ISO files (650M each) and again, my connection quit. The cable modem light was on, but I had no IP address. I recycled the power on the router and cable modem (both Linksys) and all was well - but my IP address was different. My question is this: Will comcast blink out and give me a new IP if they see that I'm uploading allot of data? Is it possible they think I'm a server and throw a wrench in the works?

Reply to
Ed Nuxters
Loading thread data ...

Do you mean downloading an iso? I hauled the 3 Mandrake cds down, did the install, ran the update which was another 400+ packages Oct 300 as a matter of fact and did not lose my connection/ip addy.

Now my firewall is a linux box, and does renew the lease before it expires.

Reply to
Bit Twister

I've been downloading both Suse and Mandrake iso files for about four days, continuously. Total is nearly 7GB. I do not have any connectivity problems when downloading, but it seems that while downloading, other computers fail to acquire an IP address when their lease is renewed unless I restart the router. The downloading computer never has a problem, downloading or not. The downloading computer is never disconnected while downloading either, AFIK.

Q
Reply to
Quaoar

Never had that happen here either. I might suggest you are having connection issues and the modem might be loosing sync or some similar problem. You might need to send a message to Comcast Tech support and have them do a line check.

Next time instead of powering cycling the modem just do a simple ipconfig /all and/or then a release/renew and see if you get the or a IP right back.

Reply to
Jbob

Your cable modem failed to renew its DHCP lease? Or do you mean your router failed? Or do you mean your PC, which is connected to the router?

"I had no" do you mean your PC or your router? Were you able to ping your CMTS from the router?

If your router's WAN IP was changed, then you allowed your Comcast DHCP lease to expire -- then failed to renew it for so long that the DHCP server totally flushed the old lease from its database.

No.

No.

Sounds like you allowed your router's DHCP lease from Comcast to expire.

Make sure you're not blocking the DHCP renewal operations with your firewall.

- Dan.

Reply to
Dan Cottler

Do you mean the modem itself, or the computer (or router) connected to the modem. Both the cablemodem and the device(s) connected directly to it have IP addresses.

What modem only has one light? Those that I know of have four or five lights. The state of each of the lights (on, off, slow flash, fast flash) can tell a lot about the connection. If only a single light is on steady, and no other lights are on or flashing, then the modem has power, but the modem did not aquire a downstream or an upstream channel.

If you got a new IP address on your router, then either you had been using a cloned MAC address, and you deleted it by resetting to factory specs, or work had been done on your node, and a renumbering was done.

While Comcast can definitely tell who's using bandwidth far outside the normal curve of usage, it's not something that would be done on the fly. At any given moment, even the most passive user can be maxing-out their downstream or upstream. What would interest them is how things look over a longer term. Those audits would result in letters being sent before taking any action. The only exception would be if it currently appeared that you were instituting some sort of attack. In that case, they'd either filter certain traffic, or cut you totally off. Assigning you a new IP wouldn't be a viable option.

So was this a single event? Are you having an ongoing problem?

Reply to
Warren

No, no, i was uploading. I can't go into detail as to why I was having download them FROM me, but thats what we were doing. Sono, I was not downloading from Mandrake's site, my friend was pulling down from me.

I believe my router is not getting an IP address. The cable modem light stays on, but sometimes it just doesn't renew the IP addy on the router. On the LAN (internal) side, I use static - there I have zero issues.

Reply to
Ed Nuxters

the router. My router doesn't get an external IP. The PCs on the LAN side are all static and have no issues.

I understand. The cable will authenticate. When I unplug it, wait a minute and plut it back it, it ranges (blinks slowly) autnenticates (blinks quiclky) has a joygasm knowing that it connected properly (solod). I have send and receive on there as well. Its a Linksys.

this happens every month or two. My IP addy will change. Is a pain because sometimes I will either remote desktop, or ssh in. What do you mean by cloned mac address? Should I call Comcast and tell them my router's IP? They already have my cable modem's MAC addy since over the summer I got a new one and geve them the specifications.

this is a monthly thing it seems.

Reply to
Ed Nuxters

Home broadband routers have an option to clone a MAC address. The common usage of this is with ISP's that require to have the MAC addresses of computers connected to their network manually entered in the customer record. Comcast uses bottom-up provisioning, and MAC addresses are acquired into the customer record automatically. (Originally it wasn't even possible to get a customer service rep to manually enter one in the ex-ATTBI markets, but the Classic Comcast markets had that ability - and the typos in the records to prove it.)

If someone gets a new router, and has problems connecting, typically one of the things they will try is cloning the MAC address of the computer that was connected in the router. So the ISP thinks it's still connecting to the same device it always was. Resetting the router erases this setting. But since normal DHCP usually assigns an IP address to the same device, when the DHCP server sees a new MAC address, it assigns a new IP address.

There is no reason to call Comcast to tell them your router's IP address. They're the ones who assigned the address on the WAN interface, and they aren't connected to the LAN interface. They don't need to be told the router's MAC address, either. All that will do is create a situation where the correct MAC address that's already been acquired is deleted, and an incorrect address is typed in. (If the correct MAC address had not been acquired automatically, you wouldn't be connected, period.)

If this is only happening every month or two, then it's entirely possible that this is absolutely normal. While some established areas may go a couple years (or more) at a time without renumbering, if you are in a growing area - or just one where the number of cable Internet subscribers are growing - it's certainly not so odd to see renumbering happen that often.

It's probably not convenient for you when this happens, but it really doesn't sound like there is anything abnormal going on here.

Reply to
Warren

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.