Why are my lights blinking?

I have a Motorola WR850G router. Even when I'm not using my computer, the lights keep blinking. I'm trying to make sure no other machine has somehow gotten access to it. Is there some way of determining this? Thanks.

Reply to
watha
Loading thread data ...

Which lights? WAN? My WAN is constantly blinking. I've read where people have said that they have a "clean" WAN, but I've never seen one, at least not with cable. Its ARP packets running amock, kiddies with their scripts, and your ISP occassionally checking to see if you are running a p*rn httpd. Its harmless. Think of it just as background "noise".

Blinky SSID lights when you aren't connected? Depends on the behavior of your hardware, but yeah, that could definetly mean someone is using it. Check your logs...

Reply to
Eric

I have Power, Modem, Wireless lights, then four lights for computers plugged into the local network. I have 3 machines plugged in. All three of these lights flicker off then on again every second, even when I'm not using the network. The wireless light flickers briefly every second. And the modem light is flickering too. When this light flashes, so does the Ethernet light on my DSL modem, a Westell WireSpeed.

Any of this tell you anything? Thanks.

Reply to
watha

Hi, It means the router is alive(active), LOL!

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Could also be automatic virus update checking? Automatic windows update? etc... etc.. etc.

Reply to
GuitarMan

Read the supplied instructions, then connect to the router's config pages and look. It will show who is connected. Providing you have set it up correctly and have put the security measures in place, you shouldn't have anyone else using your system.

Reply to
paul

That's what I want to see...the names of any machines connected at any time. Where in the config page is that located? Is there a way of keeping a permanent log of such info? Thanks.

Reply to
watha

First of all, don't worry about the lights blinking all the time, this is normal background traffic, ARP packets and the like. It doesn't mean anyone is using your router illegally.

Secondly, the config page, if there is one, is router-specific. You should check your manual for advice. Mark McIntyre

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

If you are using the latest firmware 6.1.4, look under "Basic" and enable connection logging. Bill

Reply to
Billy

In my routers config pages it is the home page that shows what machines are connected and it's always the 3 machines I have here at home, until they are switched off then it's only mine as I'm always the last to switch off for the day. Joan

snipped-for-privacy@m> That's what I want to see...the names of any machines connected at any

Reply to
Joan Archer

I also have a Westell DSL modem connected to a D-Link DI-713P wireless router. When my computers are turned off, the lights on the Westell DO NOT blink. The only light that blinks on my Westell is the orange Activity light when there is internet traffic comming in or out. Hope this helps.

Toan

Reply to
Toan Le

Could be, but mostly on the LAN side it is the router broadcasting once in a while looking for stations (read MACs) on the network and more rarely stations on the network that have forgotten who/where they are broadcasting for the router to respond. Read this is normal.

On the WAN side it is most likely as someone else said ARP packets gone wild, script kiddies surfing your ISP's address block, the ISP checking that you aren't running a server of sometype that they care about and that sort of thing. Always on the WAN side assume someone is 'beating' on the door.

When in doubt check your router logs.

fundamentalism, fundamentally wrong.

Reply to
Rico

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.