Verizon FIOS and Vonage - QOS and ports question

All -

First of all .... I apologize if this is off topic / or not the right group - but I am hoping that someone has the answer or can direct me to the answer.

I just switched from Comcast to FIOS.

I used to have linksys cable modem vonage motorola vt2442 phone lines, and 16 port switch that has all the computers, printers, NAS storage, access points, etc. Basically - with Comcast I was using the vonage router as a router and it was connected to my phones.

now

I have verizon actiontec modem/router/wireless access point vonage motorola vt2442 phone lines, and 16 port switch that has all the computers, printers, NAS storage, etc. Now basically - with Verizon FIOS, I have the 16 port switch connected to LAN port 1, and have the vonage motorola vt2442 connected to a LAN port 2, with only phones connected to the vonage motorola VT2442.

All is working well - as I assumed it would.

My question is ... are there any ports on the verizon actiontec router I need to open up to allow vonage to work correctly / better?

I swept thru the vonage help site, dsl reports, vonage forums. There was only some reference to "IF you were having problems - open these ports". There was no discussion regarding voice QOS for vonage device/router behind another router. Also - no discussion regarding two way communication needed for vonage updates or heartbeat communications / firmware updates, etc.

I called vonage tech support - and they knew less than the web site. They suggested putting the vonage motorola vt2442 in the dmz off the verizon actiontec router - but without any real rhyme or reason or explanation.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
riggor9999
Loading thread data ...

snip

snip

I've been using Vonage since 2005 and have never opened any ports for it on my router.

Reply to
Bill M.

Thanks - and to confirm - you have it behind another router - correct?

I have had Vonage since 2001 - but this the first time (not counting the original Motorola mta device they sent) that the vonage router is not prime.

Reply to
riggor9999

Yes, I have it behind a Linksys WRT54GL.

Reply to
Bill M.

Thanks. I have not had problems in the last 48 hours ... and I suspect the

20 mb down / 5 mb up ... will not put any undo load to affect QOS.
Reply to
riggor9999

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.