I need dual bank recommendation

Hi All,

I find dual band routers all over the map when it comes to reviews. I can't tell the fake reviews from the real ones.

Does anyone have a recommendation of a dual band router suitable for both residences and small businesses?

Many thanks,

-T

Reply to
T
Loading thread data ...

TP-LINK Archer C2300 Fake spot rating: "F"

formatting link

TRENDnet AC2600 Fake Spot rating: "F"

formatting link

AAAAAAA HHHHHHHHHHHH !!!

Reply to
T

I've been pretty happy with MikroTik's offerings. The HAP line has some dual freq routers.

formatting link
They'll work out of the box, but it's much better if you spend a few and customize them.

They're certainly not "average user friendly".. But the OS is solid and the hardware isn't too shabby.

I've got one of the CloudCore CCR routers and I couldn't be happier. It's a 9-core CPU with 2GB/RAM doing all the routing/filtering/fire-walling for my entire ISP. Maybe a little overblown for home usage, but certainly reasonable for a medium sized business.

Reply to
Johann Beretta

Thank you!

MikroTik hAP ac2 Fake stop rating: "B"

formatting link
Not available at any of my distributors, but Amazon is reasonably priced

How is their tech support? Do they blow you off? Can you understand them?

Reply to
T

it's not that tough to weed out, but has a *lot* of very detailed reviews.

you need to be more specific.

do they have specific needs, such as intrusion protection, bandwidth management, vpn, vlan, snmp, or they want something cheap and don't really care beyond the basic functionality?

Reply to
nospam

Thank you!

Need dual band and gigabyte ports. No fancy stuff. No USB. No hair pulling/swearing to set up. WPA2 personal.

Tech support must speak some semblance of English.

Must be boiler plate reliable.

Reply to
T

On 6/8/19 8:36 PM, T wrote: <snip>

Tech support is mixed.. If you have a legit problem they're pretty good about getting it sorted out.. If you show up with a bunch of newbie questions you'll probably just get the "Go read the FAQ" treatment.

I've found the user community fairly accurate and responsive to more "beginner" questions and rarely turn to MikroTik for regular questions.

A few times that I've simply not had the time/patience to figure something out and I've turned to some of the, relatively, inexpensive experts based in Eastern Europe to whip me up a bit of programming.

The Queue (Mikrotik specific function) I use to set speed tiers for my whole ISP was programmed in about a day (and for less than $150) by a fella in the Ukraine who communicated in perfect English and was very concise in commenting/explaining his code.

One of the benefits to having a common OS throughout the whole line of routers, from the $20 cheap piles-of-shit to their top-of-the-line $3,000 units, is that most code/scripts written for any router will work on any other router. This means that one of the devs can code for a router that may be out of his price range but will work the same as the $99 unit he tests on.

Reply to
Johann Beretta

Than you!

Reply to
T

Good luck finding these ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Reply to
Chris

he obviously meant gigabit.

however, several routers now have 10gb-e ports, which can be considered a 'gigabyte port'.

Reply to
nospam

just about everything can do that these days, and it's giga *bit* ports.

you also didn't say how large of an area to cover. for bigger spaces, including a medium to large house, a mesh unit will work well, some of which are *very* easy to set up (some claim a few minutes) and can even be securely administered remotely. for smaller spaces, just get one or maybe two nodes.

the better routers (and other products) are easy to use and don't need tech support.

most are, but nothing can guarantee 100% uptime.

synology, asus and ubiquiti amplifi are good choices. netgear and linksys/belkin not so much.

Reply to
nospam

ESR has a recent blog post on home routers:

formatting link
Commenters have a fair number of suggestions.

Reply to
Jerry Peters

Chuckle. Stinking typo's.

I am surprised no one said anything about "dual 'bank'"

Reply to
T

I sell the Netgear WNR3500L100NAS, but it is 2.4 Ghz only. And it is the ONLY netgear product I will sell. As far as I can tell, the netgear stuff my customer's buy on their own and have me set up is total crap.

The last one, I could log into the router but not get out to the Internet. I thought something was weird when I could update the firmware on the router. Then I tried attaching over the wireless and out on the internet I went. Total crap!

Lynksys/belkin "not so much" is a good description. "Almost" has to apply.

I have had the WORST dealings with Ubiquiti.

I will check out asus and synology.

Thank you!

Reply to
T

Thank you!

Reply to
T

Any unit you know comes with OpenWRT pre-installed?

Reply to
T

the price of some routers will require at least that.

Reply to
nospam

that is old and slow.

that could be for any of a variety of reasons.

More than 20,000 Linksys wireless routers are regularly leaking full historic records of every device that has ever connected to them, including devices' unique identifiers, names, and the operating systems they use. The data can be used by snoops or hackers in either targeted or opportunistic attacks.

it's best to run an alternate firmware, such as dd-wrt, which can do a lot more but it also makes it not as easy to set up and manage.

ubiquiti is *very* good and *very* reliable, just not as easy to set up as typical consumer products.

amplifi is more consumer oriented than their standard fare and also works well.

asus also has alternate firmwares, one of which is basically stock asus with bug fixes and some feature tweaks (merlin).

synology's ui is not the usual web ui, which is much easier to set up and works quite well. it's linux underneath, and can be tweaked if desired.

Reply to
nospam

Yup. But it just works. And I need a dual band sub for it that is just as reliable and easy to set up

Reply to
T

I agree with you except for the reliable part. Some of the stuff is very reliable. Some is a nightmare.

Also, there is no phone number to call. You can only chat with them. It is a total pain in the ass if it is the router that is the issue. You have to direct connect, wait an hour on hold, get some instructions, hang up with them, rewire the router, try to install the update they say will fix it, the update fails (always), back to direct connect and an hour on hold .... you get the picture. It sucks.

Reply to
T

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.