Question re: Vonage RT31P2 router / ATA

Vonage sent me a Linksys RT31P2 router for my most recent VoIP line. Because of the layout of the building, wiring, etc, I need to place the Linksys in a back office, a long way from where the cable modem resides. I have network access in the room.

My question is: Can I connect the RT31P2 to my network and make it work in switch or bridge mode, so that the PC connected to it can remain on the LAN? I was not able to figure out how to make this work, so I connected a small switch in the room, then connected the RT31PT to one port on the switch and connected the PC to another port on the switch. The phone port doesn't seem to care how the Linksys interfaces to the LAN, but the LAN ports do.

I can provide more detail for those unfamiliar with the RT31P2 who might be able to help me work something out. For those who've used the RT31P2, I think you might understand why this is a problem.

Or perhaps I'm just too ignorant to make it work without help.

thank you,

jm

Reply to
JM
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.