urgent - pls help

Hi

I am NOT technical...that is why this question...I apologize if is sounds stupid.

We have Comcast broadband internet service now .. for 2 Desktops and 2 laptops.

Of these, 1 desktop and the 2 laptops are used using Netgear Wireless equipment.

Currently ...we have a Comcast/ Scientic Atlanta Modem and a Netgear wireless router.

Now

we want to change to SBC Yahoo DSL...

can we use the same equipment that we have been using with Comcast or

will we need to get new equipment.

If not, what equipment will we have to get ?

I am assuming that with DSL we can continue to use the same desktops and laptops wirelessly.

Pls help

Thanks in advance Anna

Reply to
anna
Loading thread data ...

Yes. After registering (one computer connected directly to the modem), open the modem gui (http://192.168.0.1), click on advanced, click on PPP Location, choose PPP on Computer. Follow the instructions on screen (the modem access code is on the bottom of the modem) and wait for it to restart.

Connect the modem to the router. Set your new emailaddress(at)sbcglobal.net and password as the PPPoE userid and password in the router.

Hopefully your region doesn't get the 1070b modem, 'cause the above instructions only apply to the 5100B and 4100B.

Reply to
Kay Archer

my shoes because

Don't hurt yourself. We all make mistakes.

Reply to
Kay Archer

| Yes. After registering (one computer connected directly to the modem), open | the modem gui (http://192.168.0.1), click on advanced, click on PPP | Location, choose PPP on Computer. Follow the instructions on screen (the | modem access code is on the bottom of the modem) and wait for it to restart. | | Connect the modem to the router. Set your new | emailaddress(at)sbcglobal.net and password as the PPPoE userid and password | in the router. | | Hopefully your region doesn't get the 1070b modem, 'cause the above | instructions only apply to the 5100B and 4100B. |

Kay:

As she indicated, anna is clueless. She indicted she is on Comcast. Comcast

*only* offers cable Internet and does not use PPPoE !
Reply to
David H. Lipman

Oooops :-( I am the clueless one here... She is switching from Cable to DSL ( Do'h ! )

So yes, if the aDSL uses PPPoE what you stated is apropos and I am eating my shoes because my foot is in my mouth !

OK I'll shutup now. { much, munch, chew, chew }

Reply to
David H. Lipman

The only stupid question is the unasked one.

OK, pretty standard setup.

Close. I believe Comcast is a cable modem (coax F connector). DSL runs off the phone line (RJ11 connector) and uses very different signalling. You will need a new modem that SBC usually includes in their packages (contract).

The good news is your Netgear should work with a bit of reconfiguration (set for PPPoE and new userid/passwd) and best of all, your machines should work without any tweaking.

I suggest you plan for a month or two of overlap to make sure everything is working well and to move email addresses.

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.