Telephone extensions

Hi,

I want to convert my second phone line that I use for dial-up to an extension on my first phone line, which I will be getting DSL on. Will it work if, after cancelling service for the 2nd phone line, I take the wires off the screws they're on in the NID and put them on the same screws as those for the first phone line, matching the colors? Will my

2nd phone line jack then become an extension on my first line?

Thanks.

Reply to
Daveman750
Loading thread data ...

It should work, but it's not a good idea. You don't want the line that your DSL is on connected to a million places throughout your house. Not only will it degrade the quality of your DSL connection but it will mean that you'll need a filter on every single telephone device.

DS

Reply to
David Schwartz

Isn't having DSL on the same line as your voice service and having a filter on everything the standard configuration?

Reply to
Daveman750

If by standard you mean the cheapest way that might work, then yes. If by standard, you mean recommended, then no, at least, not by anyone I know of. The recommended way to do is by putting a splitter as close to where the line enters your premises as possible.

DS

Reply to
David Schwartz

Yes, that will work just fine. If you have more than somewhere around

5 phones total, some of them may have trouble ringing, and you'll want to ensure you have filters on all the phones on all your lines (or install a whole-house splitter), but essentially what you want is pretty straightforward.
Reply to
William P. N. Smith

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.