Chronic Disconnect Problem

I have now gone through 4 routers (2 Linksys WRT54Gs, a Netgear and the DLink DGL-4300) and I am still experiencing the same problem.

When I returned to my apartment after Thanksgiving, my router just stopped working on the WAN side (Firefox displays Looking for host...). After doing a reset, all works fine (wired) for about 5 minutes, and then the thing dies again. LAN works, but WAN bites the dust. I cannot ping IPs or domains on the internet.

After going thru this many routers and having the EXACT same thing happen on all of them, I am thinking it is an issue regarding the apartment building's internal network (connected to a T1) and how I have the router configured. The Cisco router for the building hands out

192.168.1.x addresses. So my router hands out 192.168.0.x addresses. Could this be an addressing issue? Any suggestions?

TIA, R

Reply to
uclamathguy
Loading thread data ...

Do you happen to notice an excessive amount of static in your appartment? Dont think its a routing/network issue.

Reply to
cosdocs

Static? No. I did ask the manager and he claims that when residents use routers, they "loopback" to the system (I imagine he means gateway router) and causes some to lose connectivity. What type of problem does this imply? It seems that other people are able to use their routers without any problems.

Reply to
uclamathguy

Wait, I do have the DGL-430 sitting in front of a computer audio speaker, but it does not emit static. Do speakers release some type of electromagnetic interference that could interfere with the router?

Reply to
uclamathguy

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.