Several Problems

New to DSL. I have a network. Wired and wireless with three computers. I am having a problem that I can't seem to microsoft update, HP printer software update and sometimes connecting to the POP server to receive email.

The DSL modem is connected to my Linksys router set as DHCP. All computers see ea other. The All in one HP print server works great on the network, we can exchange files, etc. but not windows updates. The browser just hangs. All computers are running WinXP.

From time to time I will lose the internet connection and sometimes the

POP hangs. Not a problem when I had cable.

Any clues?

Fabio

Reply to
fabio.soto
Loading thread data ...

That does not give all information needed. Which protocol is used on DSL side? PPPoE? Then it might be a problem with the MTU settings (in the router).

PPPoE needs another 8 Bytes of the header. So the optimum value normally is 1492. If it is set to higher values it is possible that some connections do not work correctly.

Maybe you hadn't PPPoE there.

Wolfgang

Reply to
Wolfgang Barth

well, these are very common problems that one faces when usein g a dsl connection, esp. with the pppoe/pppoa.

you simplly need to do two things as far as i understand:

1. Replace your USB modem (if thats the one you are using) with a bridge that works with an ethernet cable, then set in static ip addresses for the bridge's management (instead of dhcp). Please note that the bridge will get assigned an ip address from your isp/telecom operator, static ip is for the routers management that happens to lie in your subnet.

2.Set DNS addresses(provided to you by your isp) statically.

3.Also dsl Routers/modems have a special led "xdsl" that glows up as soon as the RJ11 cable is plugged in. Please make sure that the led glows all the time and shouldnt be in the blinking state (except for initial sync. and data transfers). If the "xdsl" LED is blinking check physical connections . Also see whether you are using the splitter/filter provided by your isp in case the telepone/fax is in use simultaneously with the internet service.

This will indeed solve all your problems !! and if it doesnt --- check your local network !!

----bakerjay----

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com Wrote:

with three computers.

Reply to
bakerjay

Try another modem for comparison.

Reply to
blitz

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.