What is meant by network printer?

In the eyes of Microsoft, yes. They consider any printer that can be "seen" with various protocols to be a "network printer" in their "add a printer" wizard to be a network printer. Actually, that's not exactly true. They muddle it even more by offering only two types of printers, a "local printer" and a "network printer". In the eyes of MS, a local printer is really a printer that is locally administered, which may include network printers. A "network printer" is a printer that can be seen on the network, but it not locally administered.

For example, when I use the wizard to add a JetDirect equiped HP LaserJet printer (an obvious network printer) to a Windoze client, I select "local printer" even though the "network printer" is a more obvious choice.

No. It makes the combination of a print server and a printer a network printer.

Well, strictly speaking, any printer contrivance, that can be "seen" on a wired or wireless network, is a network printer. Are referring to the marketing terminology? If so, networkable or some such merely means that it has an ethernet port or wireless client and that it has some protocol (NETBIOS, LPR/LPD, etc) that allows computers on the wired or wireless LAN to print. Strictly speaking, a printer without a communications device is not a network printer, although it can claim to be one if the option is available to add ethernet or wireless.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann
Loading thread data ...

To me, a "network printer" is any printer with an RJ45 connection, meaning you can attach a standard network cable. It might well need some host on your network to act as the print server, but there will be no direct connection to that host's traditional parallel or USB port. It will connect to your router or some other point on the network, just like any networked computer.

Art Temporary usercode - to be deleted when spam starts. Use MyBrainHurts at this ISP to reach me

Reply to
Arthur Shapiro

If i connect any printer to a client pc of a netwok and enable print sharing, does it make that printer an network printer?

I f i connect any printer to a router, eg DLink 714P+ and set up its print server feature, does it make that printer a network printer?

Or is a network printer only a network printer because the manufacturer says its is network-ready or network-capable, i.e., it is specially made to be shared in a network.

Hope someone can clarify and forgive me if u find the Q silly

Reply to
HWKheng

A "Networked Printer", is generally one that is shared out to multiple users/computers on a network. There are a couple of ways this can be done. Normally, in a corporate enviroment a print server is set up. This is usually a PC or a dedicated server.

When a new printer is added to the network the drivers are loaded onto the dedicated print server. Then when a client computer connects to it the drivers are automatically downloaded and installed on the client system.

A network ready printer will have an RJ45 ethernet port built into it. Normally this type of printer is a heavy duty laserjet designed to handle hundreds of thousands of pages put through it before it requires maintenance. You will pay a lot of money for one of these.

Most home printers are of the InkJet type. These are generally attached to a single PC either by USB or parallel port connections. It can be shared out to other computers on a network, however the pc it is attached to normally has to stay turned on.

There are devices that are sold that will act as a print serever, (Usually a home router or a dedicated black box), however I have not personally used one of these. This sounds like what you are trying to do.

I hope this answers all your questions.

(From a guy who has set up way to many corporate networked printers)

-- Ned

Reply to
Ned Brickley

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.