Recommended DSL providers in southern California + hardware issues

I wanted to ask which ISP providers in southern California offer the best service - no downtime or any other trouble. And for a reasonable price.

Second question is the hardware. I know you have to have a DSL modem. However, are the DSL modem proprietary to the company? Can I go to Best Buy or Fry's and buy a DSL modem or a router with built in modem and use it with any service provider? Or do the hardware the ISP ships for you is locked into him?

Also, I will be using VoIP. I will be using the Sipura 2000 ATA (Analog Telephone Adapter). Any issues with different ISP providers? I don't recall which one but Vonage or Packet8 do *NOT* work with AOL. But then again, I don't know which ATA they use.

Reply to
jonathanztaub
Loading thread data ...

Hi Jonathan,

You may wish to investigate DSL Reports to read reviews of DSL Service Providers:

formatting link
Vonage uses the Cisco ATA 186.

The Vonage Knowledgebase helpful:

formatting link
Sincerely,

Brad Reese BradReese.Com Cisco Repair Worldwide United Kingdom: 44-20-70784294 U.S. Toll Free: 877-549-2680 International: 828-277-7272 Fax: 775-254-3558 Website:

formatting link

Reply to
BradReeseCom

The best net connectivity will be from DSL Extreme. 6 megs for $62.16 a month, no contract and you will be just 6-8ms from all the backbone carriers, or they have cheaper deals for less speed.

Not particularly. DSL Extreme will loan you one for free, other than the cost to ship it to you as I recall.

Don't know. DSL Extreme does not block any ports that would affect this, nor do they do NAT, so I'd expect it'd work.

Billy Y..

Reply to
abuse

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.