Re. Overhead on ADSL with PPPoA; optimising MTU

Hey all,

> > Ever since I came across Lawrence Baldwin's site, I've been trying to > work out what the optimal max MTU for a ADSL connection with PPPoA. > His site discusses PPPoE but he mentions and I think he's right he's > made a few mistakes and he's given up on it. > > Anyway, I've been looking into it and best as I can make out, for > VC-mux the optimal highest MTU commonly supported would be 1480. AAL5 > with VC-mux has a 8 byte SAR trailer at the end of the last cell and > is padded if necessary. With a 1480 byte MTU, 30 of the cells with > have a full 48 bytes of data, the last cell will have 40 bytes of data > and the 8 byte trailer. > > With SNAP/LLC, the optimal MTU should be 1472 since it adds a 8 byte > header. > > I think all this is correct assuming I'm right that a 1480 byte IP > transmission unit means 1480 bytes through the ATM link. I'm still not > clear if there is any other overhead I'm missing. Lawrence's site > suggests there is ethernet overhead but I think he's wrong??? If there > is a 38 byte ethernet overhead that is sent through the ADSL ATM link, > then the optimal max MTU would be 1490 I think (for VC-mux)? > > For PPPoE, there is another 8 bytes of overhead to consider of > course... > > P.S. This is only relevant if you want to get the maximum out of your > modem's ADSL link. If, for example, your ISP does not give the maximum > from your link but does traffic shaping later on, it doesn't really > matter, in fact a max MTU of 1500 is optimal since this minimises > TCP/UDP overhead.

Sorry it's posted top level - it got rejected as a proper reply.

For pppoa/vcmux in the UK the optimal MTU is 1478 - the pppoa overhead is

1. (1478+10) / 48 = 31 whole cells, each which get another 5 bytes ATM header added.

IIRC the RFC says 8 byte trailer and 1 or 2 header. I know what my overhead is from the cell count on my modem and from the fact that I can see less throughput with MTU 1479 compared to 1478.

(linux) ping -s 10 sends one cell -s 11 two. For pppoe users I think sometimes the headers do get sent aswell - which makes any tweak less noticable for big packets as there is less padding needed for 1492/1500 + a big overhead, compared to the amount for pppoa at 1500. Finding what your overhead is still be usefull if you want to run a smaller MTU. If you can get a cell count you should be able to find a data figure that changes from

2 to 3 cells and work it out from there. If you can't get a cell count then you may be able to notice a difference in IP throughput between MTU = X and MTU = X+1. 53 bytes per packet is noticable in pppstats.

If you can't see a difference then it maybe you are being throttled at IP level to below link speed already - I heard of some phone exchanges in the UK being like this.

Andy.

Reply to
Andy Furniss
Loading thread data ...

Unless you use AOhelL when the MTU has to be 1400, a "standard" UK MTU destroys the ability of the connection. Not really sure why, but I couldn't get internet traffic to work properly until the MTU was 1400. Someone elses connection of course.

Reply to
THe NuTTeR

strange - if I were forced to use a "standard" UK MTU

Probably down to their kit - I have heard of people having problems that reducing MTU (ususlly to 1430) fixes.

I and many others have no problems with using 1478 or 1500.

Andy.

Reply to
Andy Furniss

For reference this was a belkin 54g wireless router (sold from PC world with freeserve branding on the box) with AOL on ADSL in the UK Set MTU to 1400 and it worked properly after not working at the default (1478 i think) G

Reply to
THe NuTTeR

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.