PIX to 877 router, static NAT

Hi, i have a PIX (masquerading on its external interface, 10.0.0.1) connected to a 877 dsl router (10.0.0.2) whos address is obtained by dialer interface.

As the PIX is doing the connection sharing via PAT for all the internal users, i would like the PIX to be the firewall rather tha the 877 router. Is it possible to have the 877 simply NAT the address of the PIX, 10.0.0.1, to its external dhcp obtained ip address, and vice versa? This would allow me t configure the PIX for port forwarding onto the DMZ etc.

Any pointers on configurations much appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

Reply to
g18c
Loading thread data ...

Hi,

What i understood is following:

Internet ------------------------Router 877 ------------------ PIX------------DMZ and LAN Dynamic IP----------10.0.0.2 10.0.0.1----------- Intenal IP Scheme

Its not possible PIX cant just forward all the traffic cuming to inside for the outside interface but what it can do is to forward internal traffic toeternal interface and next hop to communicate with other dvices but it willchnage the header field with PAT and Vice Versa.

CK

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Reply to
CK

Thanks for the reply, this is more of an 877 router issue actually, i wish to forward all packets with a single address translation from the public IP to the ip of the pix's external interface, 10.0.0.1. I have seen on other routers you can nominate a default/dmz host whereby all packets without any pat entries will forwarded to a particular host. Is this possible on the 877? It certainly is on cheaper routers.

Thanks

Reply to
g18c

yes its possible you have to define the default next hop for all incoming traffic from the public ip..

1) Map inside ip to 10.0.0 series (vrtual ip) 2) Create Acl

Acl out_in permit host public ip host virtual ip eq service name/port numuber Access group out_in out interface outside.

3). + router need to forward 10.0.0.1 subnet to ISP.

CK

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Reply to
CK

try "ip nat inside source static 10.0.0.2 interface dialer 0"

or use the 877 as a bridge and let the PIX to use PPPoE. In the second case the 877 is underused and you could get a low cost modem with an ethernet port instead of a more expensive 877.

HTH Alex.

Reply to
AM

Many thanks, i did just that and it works perfecly :)

with an ethernet port instead of a more

I am interested in using the PPPoE mode, i have done this with linux and a linksys modem before. As im new to cisco (as youve guessed!) would appreciate any guidance to setup the 877 to do PPPoE bridging (i wont have any other use for the 877 anyways, i dunno why the guy bought all this expensive equipment in the first place as a lot of it is redundant or overspeced for our network!).

Cheers,

Chris

Reply to
g18c

I've done that with a NetBSD and Linksys modem and the solution didn't work too well:

1.) The LinkSys modem didn't report the proper MTU to the ISP's router. As a result the ISP's router used an MTU of 1500 bytes on the PPPoA connection while the NetBSD box used 1492 on the PPPoE connection. That caused various problems. 2.) The LinkSys didn't recover from DSL failures several times. I had to power cycle it to get the DSL working again afterwards.

I'm only using a 877W for a few week but at the one occasion when the DSL failed it got the line working again automatically after the fault was fixed.

What I don't understand is why you need the PIX. The Cisco 877 supports packet filtering and inspection, NAT, VPN tunnels, traffic policies and similar features. So I would rather try to get rid of the PIX.

Kind regards

Reply to
Matthias Scheler

If you want to throw away the PIX, I'm here!!! :-) I'm joking.

Anyway, I haven't done it before but AFAIK you should create a bridge group and put both the dialer and VLAN1 interface on that interface. Move onwards that direction.

HTH Alex

Reply to
AM

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.