Proxy for News Server Access

I have a DSL account at my office that has access to an excellent news provider. My RoadRunner news server accessible at home is terrible. There is a way that I can set up a proxy server such that I can access my office news server through my home computer. The office DSL has a static IP. How can I access my office news server from home? I do not want to use pcAnywere or Remote Desktop Protocol because of speed.

I know that this can be done, because a guy in bellsouth.net.support.adsl was posting from outside BellSouth when the newsgroup was only available if you were accessing from a BellSouth account. He said that he had a proxy through a friend's computer that was on BellSouth. He has not been heard from in a year, so I cannot ask him for a better explanation.

Reply to
mcp6453
Loading thread data ...

If the news server at the office is behind a firewall, I don't see how you'd be able to do it without using pcAnywhere, etc.

Reply to
Cyrus Afzali

Port forwarding? Dunno, but I obviously have full access to the router.

Reply to
mcp6453

I would strongly suggest you ask your IT department what there policy is on remote access.

Reply to
Earl Camembert

I am the IT Department. Since I pay the bills, I get to set the policy.

Reply to
mcp6453

access

The way I did this was via port forwarding on the router. You open a port that listens and instead of forwarding to a machine's IP and port in your LAN, it forwards to the newsserver's IP and port.

The problem with this is that you have to make sure you can secure it somehow. Most of the low end routers will not be able to restrict who or where from they will allow connections. The routing code I was using did provide adequate security though, so we didn't have problems.

The other thing to keep in mind is the bandwidth will be limited to whatever your DSL line's upstream is.

Reply to
Fgenl_Png

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.