need help w verixon dsl

Signed up w verizon dsl(14.95 package) 'dsl light' on westell modem does not stay on , flickers on and off. Verizon says my completion date is 3-14-06 then why does it say connected 100MBPS icon in system tray when connected? Do I really have to wait to this date? Can someone please tell me how to config this manually without using cd? When I doubleclick on IE it says proxy detected, but I can't bring up any webpages. win xp pro

512 ram dell latitude Thank you.
Reply to
gogetitnow2005
Loading thread data ...

You're getting a little confused here. The 100 mbps reading you're getting is the Ethernet connection established between your computer and the device. It has no bearing on your DSL connection.

I had Verizon DSL in the very early days when it was still problematic, and dumped it for cable and never looked back. But IIRC, there's a "link" light on the Westell modem that should be on and not blinking if you've got a valid connection to your central office.

Another sure-fire way to tell if you're DSL is connected is to test your phone. If DSL is active on it, you'll get a "wave-like" effect where the volume will rise and lower until you install the filters on the jacks that are going to service your phone/answering machine, etc. Just make sure NOT to put one on a jack that's going to service the computer.

Reply to
Cyrus Afzali

Thanks for your reply. The light flickers on and off(the dsl light) so I guess that the service will not be active until the 14th. On that date, do I have to logon to the router? Do I have to setup a username and pword? I hope all this trouble is worth it; the 768kbps upload seems kind of slow.

Reply to
gogetitnow2005

Thanks for your reply. The light flickers on and off(the dsl light) so I guess that the service will not be active until the 14th. On that date, do I have to logon to the router? Do I have to setup a username and pword? I hope all this trouble is worth it; the 768kbps upload seems kind of slow.

Reply to
gogetitnow2005

Reply to
gogetitnow2005

Reply to
gogetitnow2005

you are posting here, not with your Verizon connection? You do need the filters, but not the CD, you can try calling them and doing this over the phone. I have gotten connected earlier than their "date", but I did have filters installed. They need to set you up with a UID, then you can pick an alias if you like. I tried the lite service, and did find the uploads slow, but the downloads were tolerable. Good luck.

dj

Reply to
Dr. Cajones

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.