Maximizing DSL Throughput

The best down speed I was getting from DSLExtreme was 681 kbps. I contacted their technical support who, in turn, contacted Verizon, my telephone company.

Verizon sent out a technician who found troubles in both their lines and in my in-house wiring. After fixing these, my down speed was 1372 kbps! The technician reported in to his superior, who suggested that throughput would be further improved by 'provisioning' lower to reduce bottlenecks. I said "OK", so this was done at the central office. My down speed now is 716 kbps. Verizon said I can have this changed back if I choose.

I checked with DSLExtreme's technical support, who concurred with Verizon.

Should I have the provisioning reversed, or leave it as is?

Can someone explain what is meant by 'bottleneck' and 'provisioning'?

By the way, Verizon's central office is more than 13000 feet away from me, but their collector box is only about 1500 feet away.

Many thanks.

Reply to
Shel
Loading thread data ...

Thanks, Dave. But it isn't a question between 1372 kb/s and 681 kb/s, but between 1372 kb/s before reprovisioning and 716 kb/s after.

Do you know what is meant by 'provisioning'?

Shel

Reply to
Shel

| The best down speed I was getting from DSLExtreme was 681 kbps. I | contacted their technical support who, in turn, contacted Verizon, my | telephone company. | | Verizon sent out a technician who found troubles in both their lines | and in my in-house wiring. After fixing these, my down speed was 1372 | kbps! The technician reported in to his superior, who suggested that | throughput would be further improved by 'provisioning' lower to reduce | bottlenecks. I said "OK", so this was done at the central office. My | down speed now is 716 kbps. Verizon said I can have this changed back | if I choose. | | I checked with DSLExtreme's technical support, who concurred with | Verizon. | | Should I have the provisioning reversed, or leave it as is? | | Can someone explain what is meant by 'bottleneck' and 'provisioning'? | | By the way, Verizon's central office is more than 13000 feet away from | me, but their collector box is only about 1500 feet away. | | Many thanks.

Sure !

Get re-provisioned for 1.5 Mb/s down if you you get 1372 kb/s that is way better than 681 kb/s by a factor of 2.

Reply to
David H. Lipman

snipped-for-privacy@dslextreme.com (Shel) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

If you got 1372Kb before and only get 716Kb now, do you really have to ask?

Or do you ->like the slower speed?

If you decide to stay at the slower speed, be sure to ask for a rate reduction :-)

Don't know what they meant by bottleneck, but "provisioning" is just what they call configuring your line for a certain level of service.

Try some of these sites for a test of your line performance:

formatting link
You can find lots more test sites like these by Googling on "NDT and

7123"
Reply to
Bert Hyman

It is more likely a matter of capping you at a lower speed in order to increase the reliability of your service.

Setting up your line for service. In this case, it is setting a speed profile on the DSLAM. If the speed is too high, you will have frequent disconnects. How high is "too high" depends on the line quality and distance from the CO.

Reply to
Neil W Rickert

Many thanks, Neil. I Googled DSLAM, and learned a lot about DSL.

Shel

Reply to
Shel

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.