Update of dynamic WAN IP

Sorry if this is in the wrong area, but I'm not exactly sure where to post this question. I'm working on a Web site script that captures IP addresses of visitors and pipes them into a custom database, and would like to test it using my own connection.

I have DSL on a Westell Wirespeed, and was wondering if there was an easy way to change the WAN IP address via a command like netsh or similar. I can do a reset via the firmware, and it will force my ISP to assign a new dynamic address, but that's rather inconvenient to do. I'd ideally like to have a command (or perhaps a batch file, if necessary) to do it quickly instead of having to load a browser, hit localhost, and do a connection restart manually.

Can anybody suggest a quick way to accomplish this? Being able to quickly pull a new IP address would enable me to thoroughly test the script I'm working on and see real IP addresses coming in. Thanks for any ideas.

Reply to
Marquisha
Loading thread data ...

Use proxies. There are hundreds of them available, and even software to help build lists of free ones that are currently up and running..

Billy Y..

Reply to
abuse

This sounds like a bass-ackwards way to test things. Better perhaps to enlist the aid of others on actual remote machines instead of diddling around with your own link's addressing. Since your ISP is assigning address to you it's a BAD IDEA to think you can just reassign new ones at will. You'll run the risk of stepping on an address they've already got setup. That and you'll probably screw up the routing tables feeding your connection.

-Bill Kearney

Reply to
wkearney99

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.