Do I need to do the Earthlink $10 Deal for Netowrking?

I currently have an Earthlink DSL account, and my wife has an Earthlink dial-up account. She would now like to jump up and share my DSL, utilizing her PowerBook's Airport card (we're both Mac users). The first place I researched was on the Earthlink support site, where they seemed to have this deal where you get a Linksys BEFW11S4 Router for free, and they tack onto my DSL bill $10 a month network fee. Now maybe I'm just looking for an easy way out, but it sounded like a good deal. I only wonder if they'd really let my wife just cancel her dial-up service, keep her earthlink email address, and leave her to split the one DSL bill with me. It sounds fishy, like E-link would lose money in that deal... Anyone ever done anything like this? Any feedback would be appreciated...

Reply to
danzp
Loading thread data ...

By the following:

For what you want the Airport Express will not do.

I suspect you mean Apple's router is for homes where EVERYONE wants to go wireless, whereas my wife's going wireless, but I'm not. For that kind of combination, you're recc'ing a NetGear router. Correct?

Reply to
danzp

You can buy a great little router for $10 to $40 after rebates at your local big box if you shop a bit. I'm partial to Netgear. (I've used multiple instances of D-Link, LinkSys, and SMC and will not buy them again for a long time.) Apple's router is a great unit if a bit pricey. For what you want the Airport Express will not do.

Don't forget to set the security and you'll be fine.

Reply to
David Ross

Netgear is what what I'd buy for me or my friends with this situation. It's what I'm on just this minute.

The Airport Express is a great little box but it will not support the setup you describe.

Reply to
David Ross

Thanks much. We are up and running smoothly.

Reply to
danzp

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.