Thinking about VOIP - How's Sunrocket?

Hi,

We currently have cablemodem service (Cox) with decent speeds (5Mbps down/512Kbps up), and I'm looking into signing up with a VOIP service because one of my sons uses a lot of long-distance (we're in VA). We have cellular phones with decent/unlimited long-distance, but my home just happens to be in a pretty bad spot signal-wise, and thus thinking about VOIP. We'll keep the landline (Verizon), and he (son) will use the VOIP for long-distance mainly.

We currently have an older Netgear NAT router (an FR114 or RP114 or something like that), with a bunch of machines scattered throughout the house. I also have an old Lucent wireless AP running off of the router.

Anyway, that's the current network we have.

So, I've been looking around, and it seems like Sunrocket has a pretty good deal, with the TA and two Uniden cordless phones for about $25/month. Since this would be our 1st venture into VOIP, I want to minimize the risk, i.e., cancel if "things go down the tube" service-wise :)...

I've been doing some research, and I noticed that Sunrocket had some problems in about mid-September, but it seems like generally they're service is pretty ok, so I'm looking for some feedback before we "pull the trigger".

Also, I'm curious about one other thing besides the service. The Uniden phones they're providing as part of the deal looks like the same ones we have now (got from Costco). Will we have any problems running the phones from Sunrocket with our current handsets (which I want to continue to use on the landline)?

Thanks, Jim

Reply to
ohaya
Loading thread data ...

Quick search found this review at voxilla

formatting link
nothing specific on the phones themselves, but on the voxilla site mentioned in the review post is a great comparison tool for VoIP services, nearly every service I've heard of..
formatting link
Also in the review mentioned above is mention of discount codes, specific codes for saving money on monthlys and activation for different services can be had her, as you follow through to the order pages the savings codes for all the services are already in place...
formatting link

Reply to
BarracudaRon

I've had Sunrocket (SR) for a few months. Before I was aware that many of the busy signals I was getting were SR caused, I really was pleased with their service. An example of problem - if I call my wife at here workplace the call should always go thru, either to her or to her voice mail. When I use my SR phone, often the I get a busy signal. Notice the problem most often late in afternoon and into early evening.

We currently have cablemodem service (Cox) with decent speeds (5Mbps down/512Kbps up), and I'm looking into signing up with a VOIP service because one of my sons uses a lot of long-distance (we're in VA). We have cellular phones with decent/unlimited long-distance, but my home just happens to be in a pretty bad spot signal-wise, and thus thinking about VOIP. We'll keep the landline (Verizon), and he (son) will use the VOIP for long-distance mainly.

We currently have an older Netgear NAT router (an FR114 or RP114 or something like that), with a bunch of machines scattered throughout the house. I also have an old Lucent wireless AP running off of the router.

Anyway, that's the current network we have.

So, I've been looking around, and it seems like Sunrocket has a pretty good deal, with the TA and two Uniden cordless phones for about $25/month. Since this would be our 1st venture into VOIP, I want to minimize the risk, i.e., cancel if "things go down the tube" service-wise :)...

I've been doing some research, and I noticed that Sunrocket had some problems in about mid-September, but it seems like generally they're service is pretty ok, so I'm looking for some feedback before we "pull the trigger".

Also, I'm curious about one other thing besides the service. The Uniden phones they're providing as part of the deal looks like the same ones we have now (got from Costco). Will we have any problems running the phones from Sunrocket with our current handsets (which I want to continue to use on the landline)?

Thanks, Jim

Reply to
Bob Alan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.