Bridged, routed or IPmapped subnet?

Hi folks,

Apologies if this is in a FAQ somewhere, I looked hard and didn't recognize it 8-)

Just got sbc/yahoo dsl installed, with 5 static ip's and a cayman 3546 modem/router. Now I'm trying to figure out how to exploit the 5 ip numbers.... They are consecutive, starting with x.x.x.5 and ending with x.x.x.10, which is identified as the gateway address.

It looks like there are at least three ways to do it: Telling the 3546 to act as a bridge, telling it to use ipmapping or setting it up to form a routed subnet.

Bridge mode seems simplest, but the Netopia website says this will disable the internal PPPoE client, so one of my own machines will have to do the authentication. I'd rather not bother unless there's some decisive advantage. I gather this puts the "admin access" webserver on a public net, which seems like a bad idea.

It looks as if setting up a routed subnet will preserve the PPPoE client on the 3546, it's not clear where the admin access webserver lives then. It also appears that NAT cannot be used, so if I want a private network a second NAT box is needed.

IPmapping is totally unfamiliar to me...in principle it seems like a good idea...the admin access stays on the private side, it looks like hosts with routable IP's can be mixed with hosts that use private IP's on the same physical subnet via NAT. True? What would the addresses look like to somebody browsing in from outside, or accessing a nameserver?

There's no hint of which approach is better/supported/mandatory on the sbc.yahoo.com website, their "help" search turned up nothing. There was some info on one of the other "Baby Bell" websites, but no indication if it was applicable to sbc.yahoo.

Any guidance would be appreciated!

bob prohaska

Reply to
bob prohaska
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.