XP ICS wit netgear DG834GT router ?

Hi

Can someone help a newbie, do i need to set up ICS to access the internet with my laptop wirelessly ?

Also, can I expect the same connection speed from the wireless connection to the internet as with my direct pc connection throuh the router?

Thanks

Craig

One last thing can someone point me in the right direction as to setting the wireless internet connection up please.

Many thanks

Reply to
Craig
Loading thread data ...

No. The router will share the connection.

It Depends. With a good signal, your wirelesss connection is manytimes faster than your internet connection, so you are unlikely to notice the difference between wired and wireless. If signal is very poor, it may ne slower.

Set up the router as per the manual. The DG834 is easy. Make sure you enable some encryption- WEP or WPA. Install the wireless card as per the manual. If you have XP SP2, that will pretty much lead you through the setup at the PC.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

"Craig" wrote in news:4229d5a1$0$10946$ snipped-for-privacy@news-text.dial.pipex.com:

If you understand how a NAT router functions a wired or wire/wireless NAT router, then you would know that the router is the gateway device for the WAN (Wide Area Network)/Internet and no computer connected to the NAT router wired or wireless connection needs ICS enabled by the computer's O/S to access the Internet, because of the NAT router being the gateway device.

The other function of the gateway router is the allow connection sharing, resource sharing or file sharing between computers on the LAN (Local Area Network), which includes machines connected wire to wire, wireless to wireless and wire to wireless.

formatting link

Most likely, you'll notice a speed difference between wire connection and a wireless connection.

You should get on the phone with Netgear Tech Support. If they cannot do anything else, they should be able to walk you through a wireless setup.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.