Want to bypass AOL

My household has a wireless network with AOL DSL, which works fine on the two computers using AOL software. It uses a Linksys wireless B router and a DSL modem. I can connect to the router, but can't access the internet.

Is there some way I can utilize this network without installing AOL on my Windows XP computer? Thanks

Reply to
ann
Loading thread data ...

AOL DSL still around? I was an AOL DSL customer till last year when I got a notice from them saying that they are discontinuing the AOL DSL service, and then I switched the DSL access to SWBELL. I still use AOL software and AOL account ($10), but the connection is via DSL broadband that SWBELL provides. For me, my DSL modem is "permanently" connected to the internet using SWBELL username and password, and then my computers (2 laptops and a desktop) connect to the wifi router which in turn is connected tyo the modem. So each of the computer can use a web browser directly to access the internet, or use AOL software to get to teh AOL server.

Reply to
cmdrdata

Aren't there some routers that will block everything but AOL, as a security feature? If you have one of those, you'll need to talk to the router's admin...

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

It doesn't look like this Router blocks anything. However, I'm going to get in touch with Linksys and ask them. Thanks.

Reply to
ann

no, because it's wireless I think. thanks.

Reply to
ann

I think we're grandfathered in. It seems like the DSL modem is "permanently connected" to AOL. However, you've given me the idea of looking at the modem. That may be where my non-AOL communications are getting jammed. I may need to figure out how to get the AOL account info past it, without using the software. thanks!

Reply to
ann

ann cried out

With standard DSL you would just set the connection as PPOE and enter the username and pass, does that work with AOL?

Reply to
Rosco

Check that the MTU settings on the router (WAN setup) are set to exactly

1400 or 1300 if that doesn't work and that DMZ server (the machine you're actually having problems with) is listed correctly (192.168.0.1 or 192.168.0.2 etc.) If in Europe AOHell needs PPPoA.

Hope this helps David in Norfolk U.K.

Reply to
Fumier

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.