WRT54Gv2 drops (new prob?:)

The reason for my posts on this router, firmware etc is that (never "is because:") the laptop is 2 floors down from router, 25 ft?. When straight down, it dropped rarely. When diagonally down (another room), dropped often. That includes "would not connect". And signal was always 5-15Mb Very Low.

Comcast guy (really good!, and he isn't even supposed to mess with a router) changed names in case we had a local interfering router (I still had defaults, like many.) Since then, signal is 40-54 Mb, Good/Very Good! But sometimes it won't connect when laptop turned on, and it still drops ...sometimes is as close as I can say. It can work in AM, fail at Noon, come back later, fail later, etc.Rarely, it even backs off to, say, 5Mb, Very Low. It did that while Comcast was here...54 to 5 to 38 or so.

Winbook and router bought 9/04. What are the odds that the laptop card or router are flawed? (Comcast and I would lean toward the router)

I really don't want to go thru Linksys CS.

Brad

Reply to
Avalanche
Loading thread data ...

Reply to
tzar

Sounds like you are getting RF interference from something.

William Lee

Reply to
Will-Lee-Cue

I've seen the "wi-fi finders", whatever the term. Will one of these or another piece of equipment tell me whether I'm getting RF interference?

Brad

Reply to
Avalanche

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.