linksys wireless range problem?

I have a Linksys wireless router BEFW11S4, works fine except I don't seem to have much range. New construction house, base is in bedroom/office in front of house, signal is low, very low, sometimes good or very good, sometimes signal drops when in living room. Laundry room is only thing in the way, something like 50 or 60 feet. Is this normal? Any suggestions? Thanks, Drew

Reply to
DP
Loading thread data ...

I have the same BEFW11S4v4 at my house running part of a neighborhood wireless network. It has the irritating habit of hanging ocassionally but otherwise seems to have a superior radio. I have several neighbors with very marginal line of sight through a dense redwood forest, which is about the worst case system. Worse, there's a vertical elevation difference that makes using an omnidirectional antenna difficult. I've tried other wireless access points and routers and found the BEFW11s4v4 to be the best of the pile without going to high power transmitters.

Wireless does not like going through walls. New construction houses tend to have fiberglass insulation with aluminum foil backing. The foil is like a shield and will stop anything from going through. Fortunately, there are usually gaps in the foil, so it's not a total barricade. check for foil in the walls.

Try to guage how many walls your path goes through in a straight line. My rule of thumb is: One wall is usually no problem. Two walls will usually work. Three walls are a crap shoot. If the wall is made of concrete, chicken wire, or aluminium foil backed insulation, forget it.

50 to 60ft is about typical for going through a series of walls. Actually, it's better than I would expect. What usually happens is that you get a connection at 50 ft, but it's not stable or reliable. Downloads hang or you get disconnected. That's because the path is usually NOT a direct shot, but involves multipath and reflections. Move a piece of furniture and everything stops working.

I'm not sure what to suggest to improve the situation. In general, try to put the BEFW11S4 in the middle of the desired coverage area to reduce the number of walls it had to penetrate. A 2nd access point is another possibility. Reflective antennas are cheap and easy to build:

formatting link
at one end of the house, this might be a good idea to direct the RF in the general direction of the coverage area instead of in all directions.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.