wrt54gs setup

Does the Linksys WRT54GS wireless router support CLIENT mode using Linksys's software? I am using one in client mode running DD-WRT and my friend wants to be able to do this also. He doesnt want to upload new firmware to his router, he is a little afraid of the procdure after reading about turning routers into "bricks". I have a copy of the manual and have looked through it and found no mention of CLIENT mode. I may have missed something or perhaps it isnt called client mode by Linksys. I really hate looking for something that doesnt exsist so if someone could help me out I would appreciate it.

Jimmie

Reply to
jimmie68
Loading thread data ...

No.

I've bricked a few, and recovered gracefully. If you learn to use the TFTP firmware upload procedure, you can generally recover from just about anything. However, I will admit that the v5 procedure is a bit complicated. The good news is that you only have to do it once. Follow the instructions and you can do no wrong.

Also, one gotcha is rebooting too soon. When the firmware upload says that it's done, don't do anything. Keep your fingers off the keyboard and reset button. Wait at least 3 minutes before hitting "OK" or restarting the router. There's something going on inside the router after the upload is done and that takes time.

Too late. You've read the manual. You should never do that. It takes all the fun out of Learn By Destroying(tm). Oh well.

You can usually find a client mode in wireless access points. However, for wireless routers, only a few have client mode.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Thanks Jeff, Luckily I got clued in to giving the router a little extra time when uploading new software before I bricked one and I now do any uploads with both the computer and router plugged into a UPS. Currently I am putting together a dedicated computer running Unix to do stuff like this. About the riskiest thing I have done so far is wirelessly updating the software on a router.

Jimmie

Reply to
jimmie68

The standard firmware from Linksys won't do client mode. But take a look at the OpenWRT firmware at

formatting link
I use that on my WRT54GL, and it works just fine. I just checked, and it claims to support your model as well.

Once you've loaded the firmware, run through the instructions here:

formatting link

Reply to
Keith

Thanks Keith, I have DD WRT on my routers. My friend had an extra wireless router he wanted to use in client mode after seeing mine. I was finally able to talk him into letting me install DD-WRT on it. Now he doesnt have to move his USB adapter between his laptop and desktop computers. This also allows us to use each others internet connection as a backup in case we need it. I am on cable and he is on DSL so the chance that both go down are pretty slim. This also allows us to do some file sharing.

Is there any particular reason you chose OpentWRT over other firmware such as DD-WRT?.

Jimmie

Reply to
jimmie68

Nope, and DD-WRT often has a better user interface. If you want a faster firmware, the tomato firmware is worth a look. But it trades out router features in the process.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

In actual fact, I am using X-Wrt, which is OpenWrt with a much nicer web interface. Take a look at

formatting link

I started out with OpenWrt simply from a our local community wifi group. I did try Tomato, but found the configuration a bit messy. Maybe when I get my new cantenna sorted out, I'll give it another go.

Reply to
Keith

Obviously that should read '... a recommendation from our...' :)

Reply to
Keith

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.