generic settings for wireless bridge

trying to configure a Cisco 1242AP as a wireless bridge: is there a list of generic settings available that one can use to make wireless access points from different manufactures work together? In my particular case I'm trying to configure a Cisco AG1242 Access Point as a wireless bridge to connect to a Belkin F5D7130 V.2115UK Access Point. I know my way around the inside of the Cisco, but I don't know what settings I should enter into the Cisco for other access points to accept a connection from it. I wrote to belkin support about this but their reply said they only support wireless bridging to and from other belkin devices. I don't know whether this is due to deliberate design restriction or whether the tech support staff are just too dumb to know about such settings. I have several access points but using the Cisco1242 I can't wireless bridge to any of them except of course, my other Cisco 350AP. I was told to seek out any generic settings that may apply to non-Cisco devices. Thanks for any pointers.

Reply to
tg
Loading thread data ...

~ trying to configure a Cisco 1242AP as a wireless bridge: ~ is there a list of generic settings available that one can use to make wireless access ~ points from different manufactures work together? In my particular case I'm trying to ~ configure a Cisco AG1242 Access Point as a wireless bridge to connect to a Belkin F5D7130 ~ V.2115UK Access Point. I know my way around the inside of the Cisco, but I don't know what ~ settings I should enter into the Cisco for other access points to accept a connection from ~ it. I wrote to belkin support about this but their reply said they only support wireless ~ bridging to and from other belkin devices. I don't know whether this is due to deliberate ~ design restriction or whether the tech support staff are just too dumb to know about such ~ settings. I have several access points but using the Cisco1242 I can't wireless bridge to ~ any of them except of course, my other Cisco 350AP. I was told to seek out any generic ~ settings that may apply to non-Cisco devices. Thanks for any pointers.

The reality is that the "wireless bridge" functionality is undefined by the

802.11 specifications. Therefore, in practice, it may be the exception rather than the rule for one manufacturer's "wireless bridge" product to successfully associate to another's access point.

For the Cisco AP1242 - you can try to configure it as a client of the Belkin AP thus (note, you will need to be running 12.4(3g)JA IOS or above):

interface Dot11radio station-role workgroup-bridge universal H.H.H

where H.H.H is the MAC address of the wired client behind the AP1242 (this mode supports only one such client.)

You will also need to configure the SSID, the crypto method, the authentication method and the credentials as needed (outside the scope of this posting.)

The generic solution to the need to support an abitrary topology behind a wireless client that is associated to an arbitrary standard access point, is to have that wireless client be a router that performs NAT on behalf of the network behind it. The Cisco

871W can do this.

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Leonard

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.