Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router WRT54GS v5.1

Hi All

I'm new to this, and after some research I was thinking of buying the " Linksys WRT54GS v5.1"

formatting link
in the posted subject line.

My only concern is that I alredy have a TP-LINK 11b/g Wireless Adapter installed in my machine

formatting link
and I have a spare for other PC. I did read somewhere that when buying a router to get the same manufacturers wireless adapter.

Will this be a problem?? Or Should I be looking for a "TP-Link" router or a vice versa?

T.I.A

Reply to
p.mc
Loading thread data ...

formatting link
Router in the posted subject line.

Anyone?..."Please"

Reply to
p.mc

formatting link
> Router in the posted subject line.

Is it alright to have different manufacturers wireles adapters (USB and PCI) on my not yet Wireless Network?

It's just that I'm in a position to purchase some hardware very soon (2Hrs) But I don't want to make a costly mistake due to my lack of knowledge. I have been researching since yesterday, but it's still a bit of a mine field for me to be honest.

Reply to
p.mc

As long as its all WiFi certified. Best to stick to a single standard eg 802.11g, and best to make sure they all support WPA or WPA2.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

If you are dealing with G stuff then it doesn't really matter who makes it. I haven't ever had a problem with different brands not getting along. If you are dealing with draft N stuff I would stick to all the same brand for best results.

Reply to
Steve B.

(Mark wrote)

the tp-link card say's in the specs: Data Security; [WPA]; 64/128/152 BIT WEP; TKIP/AES.

Don't know about the Linksys router, couldn't find anything on the spec sheet below.

formatting link
That's if it's what you were reffering to! If so does anyone know if the router supports WPA or WPA2 ?

(Steve wrote)

"Thanks for that"

Reply to
p.mc

just looked on wiki and the router supports WPA2. One more thing though, can you tell me if V.1 is better than V5.1 as the wiki link below shows more ram and flash memory in the earlier version!! or doesn't it work like that?

(WRT54GS)

formatting link

Reply to
p.mc

formatting link
>> Router in the posted subject line.

I notice that the card you have is "Super G" and it is unlikely that you will get speeds greater than 54Mb's if you buy the Linksys router as this uses "Speedbooster" technology.

formatting link
you want to try and get "speeds" greater than 54Mb's I suggest you buy eqpt. with the same technology and manufacturer.

Reply to
LR

formatting link
> Router in the posted subject line.

Reply to
tom

From that wiki you should note that from ver5 VXworks was used instead of Linux and it did not require the same amount of memory. This was not a great source of amusement to those who liked to use 3rd party firmware, although there is a micro version of DD-WRT.

Don't know when this was last edited.

Final Words While there are benefits to each version, the WRT54GS is obviously the latest and greatest. So, the recommendations if you are looking:

-to hack out a Mini PCI card or use with Linksys? PoE solution: WRT54Gv1.0

-for the latest and greatest 802.11G: WRT54G v4.0 / WRT54GS v4.0

-for 802.11G SpeedBooster or extra memory: WRT54GS v1.0v

-for 3rd party Firmware compatibility. WRT54G v1.0-v4 / WRT54GS v1.0-v4.0

-for All round performance and total recommendations: WRT54G v2.0-v4.0 / WRT54GS v1.0-v4.0

-note: Stay away from WRT54G v1.x (125Mhz CPU) and WRT54G v5.0 /

Reply to
LR

formatting link
>> Router in the posted subject line.

Thanks for the links and feedback, I'm gonna hold off buying the hardware 'till I've clued myself up a bit more.

Once again, "thanks" to a very helpfull NG indeed :-))

Reply to
p.mc

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.