WPA and WEP

Can WEP and WPA be used at the same time on the same router?

Jon

Reply to
Zeppo
Loading thread data ...

Zeppo @hotmail.com> Can WEP and WPA be used at the same time on the same router?

Yes, if you have either a router with 2 unoccupied RJ45 ports and plug in two wireless access points, or have a router with a built-in wireless access point and plug another access point into an unoccupied RJ45 port.

Reply to
Axel Hammerschmidt

On cheapo consumer grade wireless routers and access points, no. On high end and expensive wireless access points and routers, yes.

Many better access points and routers (Cisco 1200, Netscreen 5GT, Sonicwall, 3com, etc) include a feature that allows two or more SSID's per access point. Same with wireless switches and most mesh networks.

Multiple SSID's is really useful for running two wireless networks from the same access point. One network would be heavily secured for access to the inside LAN. The other SSID would be for running an open public hot spot for visitors. Access points with these features usually include multiple VLAN's for seperating the traffic. The setup for each wireless network is almost totally independent. Besides seperate SSID's, they usually also have seperate encryption methods and keys. It's almost like having two complete access points in one box. One can be WEP, while another can be WAP.

Unfortunately, I don't have a list of specific models handy and am a bit busy to generate one now. If you want a list, please ask and I'll try find mine.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Thanks Jeff and Axel. That answered my question.

Jon

Reply to
Zeppo

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.