WEP and WPA concurrently?

Not all of the devices connected to my AP support WPA, so I'm forced to use WEP. I suppose I could have separate APs for (say) 802.11b WEP and 802.11g WPA, but that's a lot more work than a single do-it-all AP.

Also, it's not clear if WPA isn't the source of a lot of the constantly-dropping-connections that many people have.

Reply to
William P.N. Smith
Loading thread data ...

Whilst recent models/firmware of routers and access points support both WEP and WPA security, they don't appear to support the two methods concurrently. Is that the case generally?

Reply to
Jo

Why would you want to do this? Just use WPA

Reply to
fsdfdsfkl

No. There are APs that support WEP and WPA simultaneously. Doing so gives you security as strong as the weakest link: WEP.

Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

Reply to
Ron Bandes

But if most of your traffic is on the WPA side of things, it takes longer for the Bad Ones (SM) to break the keys on the WEP side, yes?

What APs support bboth simultaneously?

Thanks!

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

From reviews, the SMC2804WBR (SMC Barricade) supports WPA and WEP simultaneously. I do not have one so I can't confirm that.

-Paul C.

Reply to
Paul Christofanelli

brummie wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@home.thx:

... and the make/model is?

Reply to
Jo

Although the standard doesn't mention simultaneous operation of WEP and WPA, I think that all the residential wireless routers support it.

R>>There are APs that support WEP and WPA simultaneously. Doing so gives

Reply to
Ron Bandes

On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 00:43:48 -0500, Ron Bandes spoketh

Nope. They may support both WEP and WPA, but you have to pick one or the other when you are configuring your wireless network.

Lars M. Hansen

formatting link
'badnews' with 'news' in e-mail address)

Reply to
Lars M. Hansen

My SMC 2804WBR definitely supports both simultaneously. I believe that others do too.

Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

Reply to
Ron Bandes

"Ron Bandes" wrote in news:3hKzd.19232$J snipped-for-privacy@fe10.lga:

Linksys and Netgear both reported they don't when I asked their support teams.

Reply to
Euan Kerr

FWIW my Vigor 2600VG has the option of running both WEP and WPA simultaneously.

However, I tested using a decent PCMCIA card in a laptop (no problem with WEP or WPA) and a crap CF card in my PDA. The later would not connect with WEP, but it has a terrible reputation and dodgy drivers. After an OS upgrade on the PDA it connected with WPA.

Reply to
Stuart Millington

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.