WEP versus WPA

I have used both WEP and WPA security and I know about the added security of WPA but when I use it my connection sometimes is dropped for what seems a minute and my connection to the internet is slower. I use WEP again and just change the key every two days or so. My connection with WEP is faster and I never get disconnected. I have a Westell DSL modem wireless router and a D-link DGL 3420 wireless 108-ag adapter. Does anybody else have this problem or is this the price for using WPA?

Reply to
Belisarius
Loading thread data ...

Den Sat, 30 Jul 2005 04:00:08 +0000. skrev Belisarius:

Unless you change the WEP key about every 20 minutes, you are at risk. With my trusty old 233 Mhz Pentium laptop, I can consistently break a 128 bit WEP key within 20 minutes, including packetcapturing. A 64 bit WEP key takes less than 10 minutes.

IMNSHO WEP as a viable security measure, is deader than a doornail, and are worse than running unsecure. Because you THINK you are secure, when in reality you are almost at much at risk.

e-teori (AKA Dutch from the Netstumbler Forums)

Reply to
e-teori

e-teori wrote in news:pan.2005.07.30.08.36.46.823509@_spamfilter_business.tele.dk:

which tools....linux, netstumbler, etc...

Reply to
Smowk

Thanks for the warning

"e-teori" wrote in message news:pan.2005.07.30.08.36.46.823509@_spamfilter_business.tele.dk...

Reply to
Belisarius

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.