Wireless Software required

Probably. Can you play DVDs on a CD player? No. So why should you expect to be able to read CD data from a DVD? The format is different, and its quite surprising it gets as far as it does.

I sympathise, but its a bit like saying "we're out of oil, so we used water in the engine instead, and now it keeps cutting out" :-( Mark McIntyre

Reply to
Mark McIntyre
Loading thread data ...

Digging through a dresser drawer, I found an unopened box of CDs that I had bought a couple months ago. It's amazing how we can live in an RV and still lose things.

I reburned the ISO to a CD, performing a read verify. When I try to boot from the CD, I get exactly the same results I did when booting from DVD. It stops after displaying the "Automounter started for: floppy cdrom"

Of course, this laptop has no floppy.

Reply to
Dave Rudisill

Dave Rudisill hath wroth:

Ok, so we're back to square one. Did you ever run md5sum on the .iso image file you downloaded? Is it the same as the md4sum's listed on the Auditor web page? See my posting at:

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Yes. As I posted on 3/23, I ran the checksum on the .iso, and it's correct.

I also tried booting from the CD with my wife's Toshiba M45-S269. Same results.

Using ACPI=OFF didn't solve the problem.

Reply to
Dave Rudisill
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

Bootable CDs use a pseudo-floppy format.

Check to be sure that the BIOS is configured to boot from CD, and that boot sector checking is turned off.

Reply to
John Navas

Not quite, more specifically:-

formatting link

Reply to
David Taylor

The problem isn't that it won't boot from the CD but that the boot process hangs after displaying the "Automounter started for: floppy cdrom"

It appears that our two Toshibas are incompatible with this particular software.

Reply to
Dave Rudisill

Possibly, but the format of the CD, not the software itself. Try a different brand of computer. Make sure the Toshibas have the latest BIOS.

Reply to
John Navas

What Is El Torito?

El Torito is a specification written by Phoenix Technologies and IBM for bootable CD-ROMs. The El Torito specification allows for the creation of a CD-ROM as an image of a hard disk drive or a FLOPPY DRIVE. When you make an image of a hard disk, the CD-ROM will boot as drive C and all hard disk drive letters will be shifted up one letter. When booting a floppy disk image, the CD-ROM will be identified as drive A. The original drive A will become drive B and the original drive B will be unavailable. [emphasis added]

Although the spec allows for hard disk emulation (and other options), floppy emulation is the most common and most compatible format.

Reply to
John Navas

Well done, that's why I said in response to your post that you weren't

*quite* correct, it's not always floppy emulation.
Reply to
David Taylor
[sigh] The format of a bootable "El Torito" ISO CD, even with hard disk emulation, is still closer to a floppy (hence my "pseudo-floppy") than to a (partitioned) hard disk. OK, now have the last word. ;)
Reply to
John Navas

Thanks, I will.

You posted a comment which wasn't correct, I provided the correct information via a link. You then provide a link affirming my post and then assert your original incorrect comment via an unqualified addition.

Bizarre!

It's ok to accept your mistakes John, you don't need to attempt to twist everything to appear masterful, if you're not comfortable with that, see your therapist. :)

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Check

formatting link
wireless site survey software, if you found this helpful.

Reply to
Elnora Stewart

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.