Authentication Gateway Software for Wireless?

I am looking for easy manageable authentication gateway software to manage wireless hotspots and a public LAN. The software should:

- run on Linux and/or Mac OS X.

- not rely on openwrt firmware.

- have web authentication for the users.

- have a web interface for administration and ideally accounting.

- support authentication via MySQL or RADIUS.

- not rely on DHCP.

- preferably be opensource.

I really like Chillispot, but it unfortunately has to act as DHCP server in order to work.

thanks Mark

Reply to
Mark Dammer
Loading thread data ...

So what's wrong with DHCP? What's wrong with openwrt? It would be easier to answer if we knew what your restrictions were.

Reply to
Derek Broughton

Nothing is wrong with DHCP - the problem is that we are using a lot of features within DHCP, that Chillispot does not provide like: Hostgroups with different options, IP-reservation by MAC, dynamic DNS updating. The main problem with openwrt is that you are restricted to specific hardware - and here is already a huge variety of Wireless hardware in place.

Reply to
Mark Dammer

That's why I thought it important we knew why you specified those restrictions. You're not really looking for a solution that doesn't "rely on openwrt", you want a solution that puts the authentication gateway on another computer in your network. That's probably easier than one that _must_ be on openwrt. openwrt is just another Linux OS, so if you've found something that _does_ work on openwrt, you should be able to put it on its own linux box.

How about ZoneCD? I haven't used it, but the reviews I've seen are good. I have no idea whether it will co-exist well with your DHCP, though.

I would think that you could make Chillispot use all those DHCP features - but it might be more work than you want to do.

Reply to
Derek Broughton

thank you very much for your advice. I am giving ZoneCD a try. It looks interesting: Live CD, based on Knoppix/Morphix using NoCat as the gateway software. The only drawback is that the system uses an external server on the internet for the authentication stuff. But as they are using a perl based NoCat I think I may be lucky here with using perls Auth::Radius module.

Reply to
Mark Dammer

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.