wireless router interference

Hi,

I have a D-Link DI-624 wireless router. I live in a building and somebody's phone is causing interference, I keep loosing connection. I have two questions:

1. Why do I loose the connection on my desktop computer if the router is wired from the cable modem to the router and from the router to my desktop computer. There is no wireless component at all.

1. Is there any way to change the settings on the router (e.i. selecting a certain channel) which will not cause the interference with a 2.4G phone?

Thank you in advance.

Reply to
gene
Loading thread data ...

Thank you for your reply.

The reason I know it's somebody's phone is because I used to have the same problem with my 2.4G phone until I bought a new 5G phone. Most times when I used the phone (not always) I killed the connection, interrupted downloads, etc. However, it could be anything - it doesn't really matter :)

I am not sure you are correct on item 1. The same problem occurred when I used all wired connections and used my old 2.4G phone. I would get a pop-up on my connection icon saying something about cable being unplugged or something to that nature. It would restore the connection but may drop it again. This would happen until I hang up, then everything is fine.

On item 2: yes, I know it's possible to change channels. The question really was: was there a way to eliminate problems, not change the channels. Sorry if I didn't make myself clearer :)

Thanks again.

Reply to
gene

If you don't know who that somebody is, how have you identified that it's a phone?

No wireless involved=not a phone causing the problem.

Yes, there's an option in the set up to change channel! :)

Is it the wireless that's dropping out or is it that you're losing connection to the internet?

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

I can't see how it could possibly happen unless it simply swamps and hangs your router. Which would indicate some pretty poor design on the part of the router manufacturer.

No, really, that's a solution (sometimes - if it really is a phone, some will not interfere with _all_ of your channels. otoh, some types of phones _will_).

Reply to
Derek Broughton

It could be any 2.4GHz device that is typical to cause interference. A video sender is another such device.

The phone is NOT causing a problem to your wired connections. That's something else, bad cabling for example.

Your router needs to be using channels that are not in conflict with the conflicting device. So your options are:-

1. Find and destroy (or reconfigure) the other device.
  2. Reconfigure your device.

Given that you don't know what the other device is (with certainty), nor who owns it, I think that option 2 is likely to be the one which will yield the greatest success.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.