recommendations for wireless access point that does this...

Hi all Not posted here before but there seems to be some life in this newsgroup. We have an internal wired network that DOESN'T use DHCP. All the client windoze machines have their IPs set uniquely & their gateway & DNS settings pointing at a proxy server that gives internet access. I need to add wireless capability to this network. So the access point has to be able to have a hardwired IP, gateway & DNS setting on it's wired side in the same way as all the existing clients and ideally it will have its own DHCP server on its wireless side. Is this possible, is there a name for this particular function & if so are there any recommendations for a box that will do such. The boss has already wasted money on a wnr2000 Netgear router that, presumably because it's a router doesn't seem to do the trick - once you set its IP address for the internal network it just seems to disappear. I've tried googling for W access point comparisons but the only info that features in the results is speed, good looks & not obscure configuration abilities.

tia

Reply to
sid
Loading thread data ...

"sid" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@pipex.net:

First of all....that Netgear router is an 'N' product...and most likely will only work in 'N' mode *reliably* with other Netgear 'N' products.

Second......it will do what you want it to do. It just needs to be set up properly. You are doing something wrong.

Reset it to factory defaults, and try again. The (easy) way it needs to be hooked up is not using the WAN side. It should have one of the LAN ports uplinked to the existing hardwired LAN.

Get it working with everthing wide-open, turn off all the bullsh*t features that device has. Then secure it after you know it work.

Reply to
DanS

I don't have a 2nd router handy at the moment to experiment but do SOHO routers wired as AP's have the capability to use their DNS forwarder to work on the LAN side or is it purely a WAN function?

Reply to
Bob

how about a little white space...

any normal wireless access point will perform these functions.

all you needed was an "access point" not a router - which just confuses the issue

formatting link
do understand the difference between a "wireless router" and "wireless access point" ? If you wanted to just add a "wireless access point", why did the boss purchase a "router" ?

exactly how did you physically connect the "router" - which port did you use ? what does that mean - disappear ? you no longer see the IP address and can't ping it from the wired side ?

Reply to
ps56k

Bob wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@bt.com:

An AP-only is just a bridge and DNS would typically be handled by whatever DNS server is connected to the LAN.

If there's the first NAT RTR connected to the internet, doing DHCP, and DNS redirect's, then when an AP-only is added, the first RTR can still handle DHCP & DNS. The AP_only will just bridge the DHCP requests over to the LAN and the 1st RTR will take care of it. Part of that DHCP response is usually DNS as well.

Reply to
DanS

It is not very clear what the OP is going to connect his device to or why he seems to wish the wireless clients not to go through his proxy server, he did also specify "DNS setting on it's wired side" so he is not going to use another router for his DNS. If he is just setting up a wireless network for guests to use he should probably be looking for a wireless device which has a guest access. Just been googling. " The role of the proxy should therefore be no more and no less than to receive DNS requests from clients on the LAN side, forward those verbatim to one of the known upstream recursive resolvers on the WAN side, and ensure that the whole response is returned verbatim to the original client."

Reply to
Bob

Many wireless routers are less expensive than access points, so maybe there were budget considerations in addition to some general confusion. As we know, wireless routers can easily be configured as access points, (but the reverse isn't true.)

Reply to
Char Jackson

less expensive - yeah... just noticed that in comparing this Netgear router to a WAP54G BTW - on the Netgear site, they don't even have/list just WAP's -

>
Reply to
ps56k

BTW - just tell us overall, what you are trying to accomplish ??? ie - you have an internal wired IP network, and are now adding a WiFi network for "customers" etc...

How many internal devices ? What internal router is being used as the main connection ? What Proxy Server are you using ?

Reply to
ps56k

Did you just look at the "Home Networking" page?

Reply to
Bob

oops - missed it for some reason - it was over on the far right side below the Storage section -

formatting link

Reply to
ps56k

Again sorry for having been away from this for a day or so.

We have a wired network and are simply wanting to add wireless access into a part of the network that's quite a distance from the rest of it. This will be only for our own trusted laptop or two & ideally we'd like the wireless to give access to internal peer to peer as well as the internet.

Maybe 2 dozen PCs max.

A dedicated PC running Winproxy

Thanks again

Reply to
sid

Sorry to have been offline for a day and thanks for your interest.

formatting link
you do understand the difference between a "wireless router" and "wireless

My networking skills are such that I wouldn't be certain of the dictionary definitions but realise that a router is probably overkill for this situation.

Cos he's the boss ;-) This happened before he involved me to try & sort things out.

One of its LAN PORTS linked into the internal network.

Yes just that. Only way to get it back is to press the reset button & lose all the settings. One thing I am a little confused by with this box is that there is an IP addr under basic settings & then there's another one under LAN settings & I'm not really sure what should go where.

Thanks

Reply to
sid

The IP address under basic settings will be the WAN port address. You will need to go to the LAN configuration settings to set the LAN IP address to one that corresponds to your network. What OS are the laptops going to use? If they are using Windows there is no need to use DHCP in the router or trying to get DNS to work there. If the laptops are also used elsewhere you can set them up to use DHCP for outside use but for your own network you could use the alternate config settings in TCP/IP to specify IP Address, gateway and DNS settings. see bottom of page:-

Reply to
Bob

formatting link
> ys/WNR2000.aspx

Ok so since I'm not using the WAN skt then this setting shouldn't matter?

XP

Yes we'd prefer that the laptops can just hook in using DHCP as the users aren't likely to be savvy enough to fiddle around changing TCP/IP settings. Thanks

Reply to
sid

grabbing the manual - ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/WNR2000_UM_24FEB09.pdf

yup - the Basic Settings on section 1-4 - is for the WAN connection to an ISP

the Customize Network Settings on section 4-1 is the local LAN side. (defaults to 192.168.1.1)

BTW - what IP address scheme are you using for the rest of your wired network ? ie - like 192.168.1.xxx ?

Since you have a small network - just make sure that any DHCP address ranges are reset for just a couple of devices, are NOT being used by your wired static IP devices...

Reply to
ps56k

If you don't mind that some of the items are in French you can find a few Netgear Simulators here:-

Reply to
Bob

At this level, the difference between the two is very little. The router will have it's LAN switch and wireless bridged together, an AP will have it's single LAN port and wireless bridged togther. The router will have a port labelled WAN and if you ignore it and turn off DHCP you will have yourself an AP.

The economics of it mean that things labelled 'router' are cheaper than things labelled 'AP', even though the chips inside and OS are virtually identical.

'twas ever thus!

Reply to
alexd

formatting link
>> ys/WNR2000.aspx

Yes that exactly ^

I assume that a DHCP server never blindly allocates an addr without sniffing to see if it's being used by a static device first? In any case, I see the Netgear box can be set to only allocate addrs between certain ranges if the above is a problem.

I can only access the premises where this gear is at odd times so my next chance to attack it won't be until Monday.

Thanks all

Reply to
sid

Your assumption is most likely wrong.

(I am not fully aware how all DHCP servers in all devices work, maybe some do check, but I've never seen it.)

Reply to
DanS

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.