Wireless laptop IP is different than what router sees

I have a laptop connected to internet through a wireless router. When I do ipconfig on the laptop it shows 192.168.0.3. However, the user list on the router web interface doesn't have this IP. Instead, the list shows 192.168.1.1, 192.168.1.2 and 192.168.1.3. Some of these IPs correspond to other wired PCs on the same network. TCP/IP settings on the laptop obtain IP address and DNS server automatically.

Basically, I am trying to setup a ftp server on my wireless laptop at home but to be able to do that the router needs to see this laptop correctly after which I can forward ports 20-21 to the laptop's IP.

This works perfectly if I "wire" the laptop to the router. The laptop gets 192.168.1.4 and the router's user list show the same IP as well. So it all makes perfect sense when the laptop is wired. I am not sure how to get this to work for wireless connection. I have been fiddling with this for a few days now, any pointers will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

John22

Reply to
john22
Loading thread data ...

You should be using a static IP on the router and not a DHCP IP from the router when doing the above, because if those ports are forwarded to a machine using a DHCP IP, the IP might change and the forwarding rules will not work any more.

Configure the wireless NIC to use a static IP on the router.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Are you are sure you are connected to YOUR wireless network and not some other access point?

David

Reply to
David

You got a point there.

Reply to
Duane Arnold

I am connected to mine. I confirmed it by matching with the external IP address.

David wrote:

Reply to
john22

I am connected to mine. I confirmed it by matching with the external IP address.

David wrote:

Reply to
john22

Thank you for your resonse!

1) When I wired the laptop and still used DHCP, I could get my ftp server to work. Although, I understand with dynamic IP this should stop working as soon as the IP changes since all forwarding rules will no longer hold. However, it should work atleast for one session. Moreover, the laptop seems to get the same dynamic IP address everytime.i.e. 192.168.0.3.

2) When I do run->cmd->arp -a the table shows the following (if that is relevant here):

Interface: 192.168.0.3 --- 0x2 Internet Address Physical Address Type 192.168.1.1 00-03-47-b1-99-3d dynamic The user list on router's web interface shows 192.168.1.1 as one of the IPs.

3)Without changing router settings, when I setup TCP/IP properties on the laptop to use static IP (like 192.168.1.6 or sth) and DNS the internet stops working. But if I setup the IP to 192.168.0.3 the static addressing works and so does the internet. How do I setup the router for static addressing? Is it possible to use static addressing for the laptop and dynamic addressing for other computers at the same time?

Thanks for any help!

John22

Duane Arnold wrote:

Reply to
john22

Could you post the result of "ipconfig /all"?

DHCP knows about 'manual DHCP', registering a mac address to use a 'fixed' IP address. Of course, you always could assign an IP address on your laptop outside the DHCP pool.

Could it be that your router has all wired PCs on a different LAN than the wireless ones? Maybe VLAN tagging?

Yes, it is.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Boosten

What brand of Wireless Router are you using, DLink? (model and firmware also if you could). Just for reference sake. Also when you Open Avaialbe Wirelss networks, do any others besides yours show up?

fundamentalism, fundamentally wrong.

Reply to
Rico

What external IP? If the machine is using a DHCP IP on the router as you claim, then the machine wireless NIC MAC would be linked to an IP in the router's DHCP table, when you look at the table.

Reply to
Duane Arnold

There's no such thing as an "external IP address" on a NAT client.

What you should be doing is using a *unique* SSID (e.g., "john22net") that's set in the wireless client, not the default SSID from the router manufacturer.

On 13 Jul 2006 10:52:49 -0700, "john22" wrote in :

Reply to
John Navas

I am using TrendNet TW100-S4W1CA.

By external IP I meant the router's external IP. Your ISP assings an external IP to your router (the IP that rest of the world sees). All computers on a private network sharing the external IP would show same IP when you go to

formatting link
If mistakenly you get connected to someone else's wireless network then
formatting link
should not match with that of other computers. This is how I confirmed I was using "my" wireless connection.

Here is my iconfing /all Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : John Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : Domain

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Domain Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Dell TrueMobile 1300 WLAN Mini-PCI ard Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-90-4B-24-8B-BD Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.3 Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0 Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1 DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1 DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254 68.87.76.178 68.87.78.130 Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, July 13, 2006

7:32:55 PM Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, January 18, 2038 8:14:07 PM

Many thanks everybody for your resp> There's no such thing as an "external IP address" on a NAT client. >

Reply to
john22

If that NIC's MAC is not listed in the router's admin DHCP server screen as you say that's an IP issued by your router, then your machine is not using your router.

Is the MAC linked to 192.168.0.3 listed in the router's admin DHCP server screen?

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-90-4B-24-8B-BD

I find it hard to believe that wire machines are using 192.168.1.xx while this one lone wireless machine is using 192.168.0.xx from the DHCP server on the router.

Reply to
Duane Arnold

It seems there are two routers:

Router #1: TrendNet TW100-S4W1CA is directly connected to cable modem. I think this router doesn't have wireless capability.

Router #2: NetGear Wireless Router MR814 which is wire/wireless combo. The laptop is connected to the internet via router #2. This router is hooked up to Router #1 and gets IP = 192.168.1.1 which shows up on DHCP list of router #1.

The IP address of the laptop 192.168.0.3 shows on the DHCP table of Router #2.

In this scenario how do we forward the ports now that there are two routers between the cable modem and the laptop. Do I need to forward ports on router #1 to router#2 and then from router#2 to the laptop?

Thanks in advance,

-John22

Duane Arnold wrote:

Reply to
john22

Reply to
DavidT

Router #2 should NOT have a DHCP table, disable the DHCP server on it, and everything will work.

You can't have two DHCP servers on one network, at least not without grief.

Router #2 isn't acting as a router, its just being a wireless access point and wired hub. Make sure DHCP is disabled on it, otherwise do all your port forwarding on the router connected to the internet.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

What brand of Wireless Router are you using, DLink? (model and firmware also if you could). Just for reference sake. Also when you Open Avaialbe Wirelss networks, do any other networks in addition to yours show up?

fundamentalism, fundamentally wrong.

Reply to
Rico

On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 21:51:42 +0100, Mark McIntyre wrote in :

It actually looks like he is doing double NAT, which is a Very Bad Idea. It takes more than turning off DHCP to convert a wireless router into an access point -- see the wikis below.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.