Wireless NIC drops...

Hi, all...

This is sorta an O'dark thirty post... late at night, mind wandering...

Anyway, I've got an AirLink wireless card in a mini-tower (XP SP2), with an extension cable that puts the antenna at the same height as the Linksys router's antenna, sitting about 8 feet apart. Both antennas are set at 45 degrees in the same direction. The NIC reports execellent connection at

54Mbs always. And the connection frequently drops. This drives my wife nuts, because she'll compose a multi paragraph email only to have it bomb when she tries to send. It drives my daughter crazy because she's trying to do college work on-line.

Don't have 802.xx authentication enabled.... don't have any power saving options enabled... just turned off Windows firewall and that had no impact (not that I expected it would, but, what the hell...)

When I view available wireless networks, I see many, up to 6 or 7 at any given time. All have 1 bar with the exception of one that has 3 bars. I've seen reference to changing channels, but the NIC in question has no channel settings. The router is using channel 11 at present. I've got two PC's that access the router via wi-fi and I've noticed that if I change the channel on the router but not on the NIC's of the workstations, it doesn't seem to have any effect. Meaning the router can be set at channel 6 and the NIC (of the PC capable of selecting a channel) can be set at channel 11 and communication still happens. Like I said.... an O'Dark Thirty post.

I'd be willing to drop the extra bucks on buying a Linksys NIC if I thought that might offer better compatibility betwix the two entities, but history has taught me that pairing hardware from the same vendor is not always a guaranteed solution. I will note that the second PC also drops the wireless connection but not nearly as frequently as the one in question.

Opinions, suggestions, and even kiss-offs, highly anticipated.

Thanks,

Lang

Reply to
Lang Murphy
Loading thread data ...

An "I've been woken up far too early post" :-)

I've got a D-Link AirPlus in a mini-server PC which is currently about 6m from the wireless router. This is one where there's a little antenna on the back of the PC, down near the floor. It works but like you, it occasionally drops the connection.

So I've bought another NIC from Dabs which has a little separate antenna on a wire to see if that helps on the basis "I wonder if this AirPlus is naff". So you're not alone.

Rob.

Reply to
Rob Nicholson

Rob Nicholson cried out

I've had horrible experiences with the D-Link AirPlus products, they either drop all the time or kill the router they are connected to by overflowing tables...

Reply to
Rosco

FWIW, my own experience with them has been very good.

Reply to
John Navas

See - that computer's for you :-)

Rob.

Reply to
Rob Nicholson

I plugged the little Edimax PCI NIC in over the weekend with it's dinky little antenna on the stand. It's working flawlessly so far as well as getting a "Very good" to "Excellent" signal whereas the AirPlus was getting a lot worse and was all over the place.

Rob.

Reply to
Rob Nicholson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.