Wireless Problems - Can You Help?

Hi,

I'm having trouble with wireless internet access...I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on the issue for me.

I've got Telewest broadband running into my PC via a Surfboard SB4100 Cable Modem and want to get my iMac (which is in the room next door) hooked up to it wirelessly. Is this possible? I tried using Apple's Aiport Extreme base station but must've been doing something wrong as I couldn't get it to work.

I was wondering if anyone could suggest a decent router to purchase and everything else I need to get myself hooked up and on my own wireless network? I'd love to get my XBOX 360 up on the net too, but it just seems really difficult to set up.

If anyone could give me a few pointers, or suggest somewhere that offers a service that would send someone round to set it all up for me, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Reply to
Acquiesce
Loading thread data ...

You should look in the Yellow Pages and make some phone calls for someone that has some technical expertise.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

I agree with Duane, also look in a free advertiser (Penny saver) classified ads for your area. You can probably get some local geek to do it for $25 - $50. Well worth not having to do the learning curve.

See if you can return the Airport Extreme.

Reply to
Stop Humpin' My Leg Dawg!!

IMO it's actually allot easier getting a Mac to incorporate into a PC based wireless network than the other way around. I would suggest a Linksys, Netgear or D-Link Wi-FI router rather than the Base Station (they are not intuitive at all!) Follow the instructions that come with the device to set it up (through a network cable) and then use Mac help to connect the iMac wirelessly. There is plenty of documentation out there to help you eg.

formatting link
If you do choose to use a Geek, don't let them charge you anymore than an hour for it!!

Good Luck

Reply to
Briggy

Thanks all! Will give it a go.

Acquiesce

Reply to
Acquiesce
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

The Airport Extreme is an excellent product. Ask for help on Apple forums.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.