Wireless IP address changes to a different IP range.

I have a dlink router and 2 airlink repeaters. The reason I have the 2 airlink repeaters is because I don't get signal strength on the other side of the house. I know get full signal but the ip address on the wireless laptop will change from a 192.168.0.x to a 169.254.x.x IP address.

If I put in a static IP address then I will still get strong signal strength but can't connect to the WAN and the IP address stays the same. As soon as I change it back to DHCP I get the 169.254.x.x IP address.

I have some other routers that my Wireless card picks up and I can even connect to one of the routers (a next door neighbors) and I don't have the problem of the IP address change. I have used different laptops in the area with the same results.

I have heard of other people having this issue but nothing really detailed on it.

Reply to
paul2000
Loading thread data ...

On 26 Aug 2006 10:58:37 -0700, "paul2000" wrote in :

That only means the last leg has full signal. The wireless link may still be a problem.

That means DHCP is failing, so you may still have wireless link problems. You need to check the Airlink repeaters.

Reply to
John Navas

FYI: I setup the router and the airllinks from the start. The only difference I did was I used a different channel. I noticed when I did a scan I found a few other wireless networks and some had channel 11 and some were on channel 6. Mine useed to be on channel 6 so I changed it to a high number and now I haven't had the issue. I'm guessing the airlink was picking up a wireless network on the same channel.

Anyways, its working. Thanks for everyone's help.

Reply to
paul2000

On 27 Aug 2006 06:37:33 -0700, "paul2000" wrote in :

Radio interference was the likely problem,

Good!

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.