wireless intruder?

Try this ...

formatting link

Reply to
Don McCallum
Loading thread data ...

The easy way to detect this is to change your wep key, and if it isn't

128 bit make it that too.

I would look at the active DHCP leases on your router if it supports it, or if your using a external DHCP server look at that. If you see more then the the two pcs you have connected then you found him.

A third way is to use a port scanning program to sweep the ip range pinging all the pcs or better yet looking for open ports. The scan for open ports ignoring a ping request may find it if they have echo requests blocked on their firewall. The one I like to use is NMAP, that runs under linux. The only program off the top of my head that will run on win2000 that will do it is GFI langaurd security scanner.

Reply to
mikep187

The command line version of NMAP also runs on Windoze:

formatting link
are a bunch of Windoze GUI front ends for NMAP:
formatting link
formatting link
(etc...) but I don't use them.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Befuddled wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Do you have encryption turned on?

Reply to
Lucas Tam

Hopefully I am posting this in the correct group.

I am a new DSL user and my router has wireless. I have noticed the the wireless connection light is always on steady. According to the user guide that indication means a link has been established. When I look as My Network Places to see who it might be, all I see is my own computer and my other computer located elsewhere in the house. Yet even when my other computer is off the light remains steady. I have set my router no to broadcast the SSID and the firewall is set to medium. How can I 'see' who else is connected?

O/S Win2000 Pro Westell 327w

Reply to
Befuddled

Yes, I forgot to include that.

Reply to
Befuddled

Thank, I'll take a look at airsnare later today. Unfortunately I need to go to work.

Reply to
Befuddled

Not to be too simplistic but does your routers configuration pages not have an "attached devices" section?

Reply to
HillBillyBuddhist

It means its pluged into a network card

Reply to
gekco

I have changed my WEP from 64 to 128-bit. The indicator flashed and then went back to steady. DCHP shows only my pc and the remote PC. I did try some of the recommended detection software and no other system was seen. It's quite possible that the indicator really means that the router is transmitting.

Thanks to all who came to my aid.

Reply to
Befuddled

The wlan light should be on steady. This means the system is ready and is waiting for a connection. Once a connection is being made the light should blink, meaning a connection is being made. The light should also blink when you are accessing the net.

Hope this helps

mcvayr

Reply to
R McVay

I didn't catch which wireless router you have, I have a WAP54G hooked into my router and whenever my router is on, the link light is on the WAP telling me it has established a link with my router, not necessarily meaning a pc. I would pay more attention to how much the link light flickers. just a thot. hope this helped.

Reply to
Another Anonymous

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.