Need simple outdoor antenna

First of all, the antennas on that device are detachable and replaceable. On the linksys website, they sell an as2tnc specifically for that, with 6 FT extension cables

formatting link
(one of the many paragraphs in the description) The Antenna Stand can be mounted up to 6 feet away from the wireless device. It comes with mounting slots to attach it to the ceiling, high on a wall, or it can just stand on a tall bookcase or shelf. Note that although the Antenna Stand's cable and connectors cause some loss to the wireless signal, effective placement of the antennas above signal obstacles can easily create a net gain in wireless communications range and reliability.

Reply to
Peter Pan
Loading thread data ...

UK Homemade antennas:

formatting link
antenna that I like and find easy to build:
formatting link
formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Guess I didn't state it too clearly.. Didn't know if you have to be outside to go around the corner of the windows, or just wanted externals that can be placed on the window sill.. (inside would be a lot cheaper and easier)

If the latter (straight out), they also make hi-gain antennas that screw onto the antenna stand or the back of the router, however if you have to go around the corner, the back of the router has standard tnc connectors, and you can get outdoor antennas with cables and tnc connectors on the end. I know where to get em here in the US, but have no clue which are sold in the UK.

Whole point was to make sure you knew that the WAP could be left inside, the antennas come off, and have standard TNC connectors.

Most antennas are sold for indoor use (and are rather cheap), as soon as you go to weatherproof outdoor ones, you add on a few bucks.

Just out of curiosity, do you need the antenna to be outside and see a place at a 90 degree angle from you? or are you just trying to increase the signal strength by not going thru the glass and going straight out? If you can use something like the high gain antennas on the indoor

Oh, almost forgot, I ran across a really strange situation... How old are your windows? Some older builings have things like leaded glass that block a significant part of the signal.. Drove me nuts until I found that out...

Reply to
Peter Pan

If I put my Linksys WAP54G out of the window I can get a signal from my remote site.

Obviously I can't leave it outside so what is the easiest/simplest way of arranging it so I have an external antenna?

I'm in the UK if I need to buy any kit.

Is thin-wire ethernet any use?

Many thanks

Reply to
Tony Lewis

That doesn't appear to be an outdoor antenna. If the OP gets a little longer than normal pigtail to fit his Linksys, one that ends in N Male, he can plug it into a normal outdoor type panel antenna mounted outside.

Pigtail:

formatting link
antenna:
formatting link
These links are just for instance, many other sources available. Be sure to waterproof the connector that is outside, use a lot more quality electrical tape over the connection than you'd think necessary.

Reply to
Rôgêr

would be perfect if it could be located outside.

Reply to
Tony Lewis

"Peter Pan" < | | Oh, almost forgot, I ran across a really strange situation... How old are | your windows? Some older buildings have things like leaded glass that block a | significant part of the signal.. Drove me nuts until I found that out...

Also some modern windows have metalized tinting which also plays h*ll with the signal path.

Reply to
Not Me

In the UK, you might take a lead from this hobbyist. His site has some homebuilt solutions and some links to UK sites.

formatting link

Reply to
dold

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 11:35:52 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Tony Lewis) wrote:

From an Intersil data sheet I found in my pile of papers. Window Brick Wall 2dB Metal Frame Glass Wall into Building 6dB Metal Door in Office 6dB Cinder Block Wall 4dB Metal Door in Brick Wall 12.4dB Brick Wall next to Metal Door 3dB

Note that 3dB is half your power, and 6dB loss cuts your range in half. Personally, methinks they are being rather optimistic with their loss measurements.

From the Vivato installation guide at:

formatting link
Low = < 10dB Medium = 10-20dB High = > 20dB

Obstruction Attenuation Example Open space None Courtyard Wood Low Inner wall, office partition, door, floor Plaster Low Inner wall (old plaster lower than new plaster) Synthetic materials Low Office partition Cinder block Low Inner wall, outer wall Asbestos Low Ceiling Glass Low Non-tinted window Wire mesh in glass Medium Door, partition Metal tinted glass Low Tinted window Human body Medium Large group of people Water Medium Damp wood, aquarium, organic inventory Bricks Medium Inner wall, outer wall, floor Marble Medium Inner wall, outer wall, floor Ceramic (metal content or backing) High Ceramic tile, ceiling, floor Paper High Roll or stack of paper stock Concrete High Floor, outer wall, support pillar Bulletproof glass High Security booth Silvering Very High Mirror Metal Very High Desk, office partition, reinforced concrete, elevator shaft, filing cabinet, sprinkler system, ventilation systems

I'm sure I agree with their list either. I've had no problems with paper products as long as the paper is dry. I just poked my access point antenna into a ream of paper. No obvious loss of signal. Maybe they're thinking of a warehouse size pile of paper (like my desk). They also claim that a "metal tinted window" has low attenuation. The reflective aluminized mylar coating I've found on some office windows has a really high loss. Maybe there are different types of metalization. Dunno.

Nope. Common window glass is quite transparent to 2.4Ghz energy. However, some types of glass and glass coatings do cause problems.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I have line of sight from the window which is double glazed. The signal inside reduces too much.

My wife doesn't want dangly bits in the window so I was going to go through an adjacent cupboard where I could hide the Access point and just go through the brick to a simple outdoor antenna.

I presume double glazing also has a significant effect.

Reply to
Tony Lewis

This (and others mentioned in other threads) look most promising thanks.

As is often the case google throws up lots of sites (and noise) but it takes a NG to find the best answers :)

Reply to
Tony Lewis

"Tony Lewis"

| My wife doesn't want dangly bits in the window so I was going to go | through an adjacent cupboard where I could hide the Access point and | just go through the brick to a simple outdoor antenna. | We were renting an apartment where I had a contract job. The lady who owned the building likewise did not like 'dangly bits in the window' so I purchased a plastic (but matching the outside decor) window flower box. Installed some plastic flowers that effectively hid the WIFI antenna.

Only draw back the landlord lady wanted me to install the boxes in the other apartment windows. (I should mention she does a wicked job on home made brownies so it was not a total loss )

Reply to
Not Me

Useful list thanks Jeff

Glass has Pilkinton K coating but I haven't done extensive signal measurements and there may be other factors at play.

Reply to
Tony Lewis

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.