Wireless Drops During File Transfer (Netgear mr814 version 1)

Hello,

I have recently purchased a new laptop with a built-in wireless card (Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection). Plugging it in, it worked fine, wireless can browse, however during any file transfer, upload download, LAN ftp, external FTP, my connection just drops/hangs. I then have to End Task the process just to get control again. I'd like to believe the issue lies in the router, as my roomate decided to buy a laptop the day after me and his wireless connection performs the same as well. The router itself is at least 4 and half years old. I will be testing it tomrorow on a brand new linksys (can't remember the model) to verify that the issue is not with the machine, however would appreciate any ideas on my end before I decide to go out and buy a new router.

Thanks.

Reply to
josh.tucholski
Loading thread data ...

On 27 Jul 2006 16:54:20 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in :

Have you updated the router to the latest firmware?

Reply to
John Navas

Reply to
josh.tucholski

That you have to end task the process suggest the problem is in your computers, not the router. No matter what I do to my router, my computer isn't affected -- transfers will just fail.

On 27 Jul 2006 17:31:38 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in :

Reply to
John Navas

Ending the task is needed in FTP transfer since explorer is being used and it just hangs.

When attempting to download a copy of Windows Live Messenger (15 MB) over high speed wireless transfer speeds start at 80 KB/sec and drop within 30 seconds to 15 KB/sec or below. It should not be that low in the first place.

I've attempted at decreasing the MTU size, but that did not improve the situation at all.

With the other computer, when it was downloading a patch for a game, it was using the in-game download engine and stopped transmitting data at

28%. We can close the browser, ftp w> That you have to end task the process suggest the problem is in your
Reply to
josh.tucholski

On 27 Jul 2006 18:54:23 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in :

Cancel works for me. Regardless, you may want to try Mozilla Firefox or Opera, or use a proper FTP application like Filezilla.

True, so there's something going on. You may have severe interference, or some other form of packet loss.

I doubt that it would.

Have you tried passive FTP?

Reply to
John Navas

Reply to
josh.tucholski

Reply to
josh.tucholski

On 30 Jul 2006 17:54:24 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in :

I'm a great believer in switching rather than fighting. :))

Reply to
John Navas

What? Your going to switch from cingular to verizon ?

Reply to
Kevin Weaver

Kevin Weaver hath wroth:

Wrong way (if you're a union member):

formatting link
More of the same:
formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I'm not a union member. Glad I'm not. Look at GM.. I bet there all saying the very same thing also.

Reply to
Kevin Weaver

On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 02:32:52 GMT, Kevin Weaver wrote in :

Didn't write that. Had your eyes checked lately? ;) Regardless, I would switch to Verizon if and when it offered the best price and service for my needs in my area. I have zero loyalty to any company, product, or service.

Reply to
John Navas

My eye's are fine. When I saw that you wrote this,

"I'm a great believer in switching rather than fighting. :))"

I added that "Your going to switch from cingular to verizon" As a joke.

Reply to
Kevin Weaver

My beverage just blew through my nose when I read this...

Reply to
Nessnet

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.