Wireless drops after enabeling WEP Security

On the 2 computers running Win 98SE the connection to the AP drops them randomly every 18 to 36 hours.

I have a D-Link NIC in both computers one is a DWL-G659 and the other is a DWL-G520. My AP id a D-Link DI-624. This did not happen prior to enabling security features. I have WEP on an open key.

I have to reboot the AP to resolve the problem from a wired computer.

Reply to
Jim
Loading thread data ...
18 to 36 hours sounds pretty good. Do you mean the connection is active for 18 to 36 hours then drops? With the extra computing power to encode and decode wep, they may be dropping due to heat exhaustion.

Reply to
Airhead

The network or home network disconnects and thus so does the internet. The NIC cards are cool enough and the AP is never even warm. I can't imagine the WEP encryption would heat up the cards as it is software driven.

Reply to
Jim

The heat exaustion was just a pun, but there are APs that use software to encrypt/decrypt (usually the least expensive) and there are those that use hardware. Some even add an extra processor to do the work. More processor cycles = more heat. Some cards have built in heat detection and turn themselves off, or they notify the OS which turns them off. So even a pun is possible.

computer.

connection

almost

Reply to
Airhead

That is certainly not a universal feature of WEP. My WEP'd connection (based on different hardware from yours) is very stable, frequently good for over a week. I do reboot the laptop every week or two, but almost never due to loss of wireless connection.

Reply to
Bob Willard

Do they both drop at the same time? If so, this (and the temporary workaround of rebooting the AP) woud tend to indicate that the problem is in the AP. I assume it's at the latest firmware. You might try a factory reset and reloading all your values, it's possible something got set improperly. You might try asking D-Link, though they'll almost certainly not have an answer, or try another AP.

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

No they drop at different times, it even effects the wired computers. Jim

Reply to
Jim

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.