Wireless Connection issue

Hi

I am able to connect my laptop to my access point with great signal strength, howver if I try and ping the access point (192.168.10.148) i get 7 replies from every 30 packets sent! How is this possible? Surely if I can connect to the access point I should be able to ping it or other computers on my network. I do have a bridge connected to the access point for my LAN computers which runs perfectly. Why? The access point has WEP enabled but MAC filtering disabled.

Got me a little confused.

PS I have tried to connect with three other laptops - all 3 connect but cannot use the network.

Kalvin

Reply to
kal
Loading thread data ...

snipped-for-privacy@saol.com hath wroth:

Any particular maker and model access point? Any particular maker and model laptop and wireless card?

The generic, non-specific answer is that something is wrong. It could be interference from other wireless networks or other sources of

2.4GHz radiation. See list of possible culprits at:

Other possible causes are:

1. Old and defective access point firmware.
  2. Old and defective wireless client firmware.
  3. Laptop busy downloading updates, or other wireless traffic.

Ummm... Could you describe the problem a bit better? I you apparently can ping your access point at 192.168.10.148, a rather strange IP address. Are the "other" computers on your network at 192.168.10.??? If they're on some other Class C IP block, then you can't ping them. Also, some of your "other" computers may have a software firewall running that blocks pings and network access. Try the same test using a wired ethernet network connection from your unspecified laptop, and see if it works without wireless. Once you have that working, go back to untangling the wireless.

What manner of bridge? Hardware or software? If software, running on what operating system and with how many ethernet cards? I've had some entertainment getting Windoze XP to play bridge on a single ethernet adapter, although I eventually made it work. If hardware, you know the litany; maker and model.

WEP is encryption. Only the wireless traffic is encrypted. If WEP works (i.e. you can ping the access point via wireless), then it should have no effect on the TCP/IP layer traffic. MAC filtering also only works on the wireless part of the traffic, which you indicate is working. Neither would have anything to do with your packet loss unless it's a very old access point with old and defective firmware.

Same here. I like numbers and clear descriptions of what you have to work with.

Connect how? Wired or wireless? Try it wired first. If that works, then try wireless.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Hey Jeff, you sound like you know a lot more than I do.

Here is the whole story.

I run 4 offices. All 4 offices are linked by a wirelss LAN. At my main office I have my Terminal Server as well as my database server - both

Simply put, office 1 has a wireless access point (Senao long range wireless multi client bridge) ( 192.168.10.149) - this then beams upto my second office that has a bridge (Same hardware as above) (192.168.10.150) this bridge is then through a crossover cable connected to my newxt Access point (Senao again) (192.168.10.148) this then beams to my third office which has the exact same setup as office

2, except the bridge and access points are now wired through a hub, this allows me to connect my computers to the network.- Now the bridge is 192.168.10.147 and Access point 192.168.10.146, the access point beams to the 4th office with an ip of 192.168.10.145 Now any computer at office 3 and office 4 can ping any other computer on the network - LAN BASED.

NOW the problem - at office 2 - (my home) These access points are miles up in the air. So instead of running ethernet cable to them i bought another senao multi client effort. This i configured to a bridge at 192.168.10.151 this little brifge connects to my

192.168.10.148 access point via wireless and I then connect that to my little hub - all computers wired to this hub can see and run in the network perfectly. Now when I try and connectto the access point with my laptop - An Acer, it connects perfectly - 100& signal strength, I assign my laptop a static IP as I do with all my computers - no conflicts, I then try and use the network - NO GO. So i try and ping differnet addressess like the access point itself - eg ping -t 192.168.10.148 I get no reply about 10 times then I get a reply (about 6 in a row) then 30 no reply's etc etc etc...

What I cannot understand is how when I plug my laptop inot my hub with a cable - perfect, but when I connect to the unit wirelessly - Intermettent. I have tried connecting mates laptops to the access point wirelessly to, but they have the same problem. The WEP key is correct, if it weren't I would be unable to connect.I have definitely taken MAC address filtering off. I have tried resetting the access point, nothing,

This whole unit used to work before the last access point got fried but lightning or some serious electrical surge. I could work from anywhere in the house wirelessly with my laptop. I did replace the old unit with the same thing, setup the same way.

Obvioulsy i have different SSID's between each access point and bridge.

I hope this helps you to help me as I hate being confined to this desk.

Cheers

Kalvin

Reply to
kal

Found the product number of all the bridges - a Senao High power Multi- Client bridge/access point Model NL-2611CB3 PLUS (Deluxe)

Reply to
kal

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.